New scanner kit development in Austin, TX, USA?

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

vitorio
Number of books owned: 0

New scanner kit development in Austin, TX, USA?

Post by vitorio »

Hi!

I'm interested in assembling one or more of the new model scanner kit, initially as-is and helping flesh out the parts lists and basic stuff, and later making it larger (I have larger books) and working on alternate plans (for smaller CNCs, for building by hand, I think a corrugated cardboard model might be doable).

My first goal is getting 2+ sets of plywood cut, assembling one of them, and setting it up at the ATX Hackerspace.

Getting plywood cut at Make+Shift, a new workshop, is $100/hr. setup and $75/hr. runtime to use their 4'x8' ShopBot CNC, so if others are interested in their own scanners, collaborating on the cost and runtime would be cheaper.

Anyone interested in some or all of this effort?

Thanks.
MrJSaul

Re: New scanner kit development in Austin, TX, USA?

Post by MrJSaul »

Hi,

I'm in Austin and very very interested in this project. I'm a student and can offer some but limited financial assistance. If you need manpower I'm in for that too.

Josh
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

I'm waiting to hear back from Make+Shift about the cost to have the plans cut, and I'll probably start on it late next month, I'm guessing. Based on the estimates, it'd probably be $200 in parts plus at least $200 to cut a single set of plans for.

If you're interested in one personally, but can't swing, say, $350 for your own parts and cuts, the Sola Technical kit is only $70 and it's a neat starter scanner.

I'll update this thread and PM you once I know my plans. It'll be up to the hackerspace as to whether you'd need to be a member in order to use it or not. I'm not a member yet myself, either: http://www.atxhackerspace.org/wiki/Membership
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

vitorio wrote:I'm waiting to hear back from Make+Shift about the cost to have the plans cut, and I'll probably start on it late next month, I'm guessing. Based on the estimates, it'd probably be $200 in parts plus at least $200 to cut a single set of plans for.
I've been quoted around $400 + materials to have this cut. ~1-2 hours for set up using the Illustrator files, 1+ hours run time at $75/hr.
MrJSaul

Post by MrJSaul »

Maybe this is worthy of setting up a kickstarter funded project? Especially if one of the scanners will live in the hackerspace. Check it out.

http://www.kickstarter.com/

JS
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

Kickstarter isn't a good way to raise money in the general case; it's best for people who already have a large enough circle of interested acquaintances who have the same, and you just need a platform with which to communicate with them and collect money.

Daniel Reetz might be able to, for something larger, but I'm not sure that's me.

For a local instance like this, it's < $2k to buy two sets of parts, two pair of cameras, have two sets of plans cut, and document and assemble them and test them and such. It'd be easier, I think, to just save up for it.
MrJSaul

Post by MrJSaul »

Hey - I guess I was just thinking that we might be able to access the hackerspace community as a circle of folks who might be interested - especially if it might live there. Plus, we might be able to offer up some of its services to those who back us and that would open the door to a ton of people via my school/community. Its up to you but $2K is still a good bit of cash - for me currently at least...

JS
Squid32

Post by Squid32 »

I am in Houston TX and would consider becoming a part of a group that could cooperatively build one or more DIY Book Scanners. Please, please, please contact me if there is anything I can do to get a DIY Book Scanner assembled. I will be watching for this to happen. :D On second thought, email (drsmith7684@sbcglobal.net) me if there is any interest.
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

Hi, I've decided to finish testing my current scanner and cameras before working through the new model.

If someone else wants to organize group cutting, build and assembly, I'd be interested in participating, otherwise I expect to get back to it once I'm done with this first one.

Thanks!
seltzered

Post by seltzered »

Hey! I'm in austin and I want to sell my 80% built book scanner (see http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtop ... red#p11773 ) which used two Canon A480's. If anyone's interested let me know.

I ended up destructively scanning most of my books instead because my collection wasn't very large.