New scanner kit development in Austin, TX, USA?

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

vitorio
Number of books owned: 0

Re: New scanner kit development in Austin, TX, USA?

Post by vitorio »

After a little back and forth, the Austin Hackerspace has voted to host a DIY book scanner on a trial basis. (I assume the concern is around whether the general public will overwhelm the space with blatantly illegal scanning.)

Rather than build one myself and then donate a second to the hackerspace, I am becoming a voting member of the space and will keep my scanner there for member use, and for public use with training and/or supervision.

I'll be setting it up with two Canon A2200s. It's not assembled yet, so becoming a member of the hackerspace will be the fastest way to get to use it, until we set up public hours.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'm chuffed to hear that they'll host it. I doubt they'll be overwhelmed. The dozen or so hackerspaces that have them haven't reported anything like that.
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

Today, we built the book scanner at the Austin Hackerspace.

It's not fully operational yet, but it's assembled. Another day or two of effort and it'll be ready for trial use.

Here's the build thread, and here are my notes on using the new assembly manual to build it.
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

The scanner is tested and documented and open for use, now (for members, and for the public with supervision).

http://atxhackerspace.org/wiki/Book_Scanner
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

This scanner is no longer hosted at the ATX Hackerspace.

If you are in Austin, TX, USA, and need to non-destructively scan books at the equivalent quality level of a photocopy, several University of Texas libraries have "KIC" scanners, including the PCL, which is open to the public during normal business hours: http://wiki.lib.utexas.edu/hdi/pmwiki.p ... KICScanner