This thread is for makers of the current standard DIY Book Scanner and buyers to meet. The hardest part about making a scanner is cutting the parts, which means having access to a CNC router such as a ShopBot. So a maker with such access is valuable, and can help other people to make their dream scanner.
The current release of the standard scanner is the 0.9.10 Version, so any makers who want to offer their services to cut out the wooden parts for a 0.9.10 version can post here. The post must include the following:
- The region they are willing to work within.
- The price for the service (shipping not included).
- The wood that the parts will be cut from. Note that the "baltic birch plywood" from big-box stores is not the same as real baltic birch, so beware.
- Any hardware that the maker is willing to sell along with the wooden parts (these being the bolts, screws, nuts, washers, glass, bearings, bicycle brake cables, handle, and so on, and optionally even lights and cameras).
- Any restrictions on the maker's schedule.
- Any other information. More information is better.
- Anything else I forgot (hey, I'm not perfect).
To start the process, a buyer should contact the maker via Private Message. If you receive the parts, and something goes wrong, please follow up with the maker to come to an agreement.
Makers, please don't begrudge having to cut a few extra pieces. These things happen. Keep it friendly and makerish. Your goal is not to make money, or start a successful business, but to get scanners out there. Also, if you're planning to "close shop" for a while, please let an admin (i.e. me or Dan Reetz) know. We'll edit your post to indicate that you're currently unavailable.
Buyers, please follow up in this thread with your experience!