Makers meeting buyers

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Makers meeting buyers

Post by rob »

NOTE: This thread is now locked. The standard for posting sell offers and buy requests is to make a new post in the Agora section.

This thread is for makers of the current standard DIY Book Scanner and buyers to meet. The hardest part about making a scanner is cutting the parts, which means having access to a CNC router such as a ShopBot. So a maker with such access is valuable, and can help other people to make their dream scanner.

The current release of the standard scanner is the 0.9.10 Version, so any makers who want to offer their services to cut out the wooden parts for a 0.9.10 version can post here. The post must include the following:
  • The region they are willing to work within.
  • The price for the service (shipping not included).
  • The wood that the parts will be cut from. Note that the "baltic birch plywood" from big-box stores is not the same as real baltic birch, so beware.
  • Any hardware that the maker is willing to sell along with the wooden parts (these being the bolts, screws, nuts, washers, glass, bearings, bicycle brake cables, handle, and so on, and optionally even lights and cameras).
  • Any restrictions on the maker's schedule.
  • Any other information. More information is better.
  • Anything else I forgot (hey, I'm not perfect).
Buyers should remember that this design is always in flux, and is not guaranteed to work right out of the box. Support is never given by the maker, but here in the forums. This is not a professionally-produced slick corporate product. Makers should not charge an excessive amount over cost of materials, labor, and shipping, but should guarantee that their work is faithful to the design files, and that items are not broken in transit (i.e. insure your packages, people!)

To start the process, a buyer should contact the maker via Private Message. If you receive the parts, and something goes wrong, please follow up with the maker to come to an agreement.

Makers, please don't begrudge having to cut a few extra pieces. These things happen. Keep it friendly and makerish. Your goal is not to make money, or start a successful business, but to get scanners out there. Also, if you're planning to "close shop" for a while, please let an admin (i.e. me or Dan Reetz) know. We'll edit your post to indicate that you're currently unavailable.

Buyers, please follow up in this thread with your experience!
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: Makers meeting buyers

Post by rob »

I will no longer be selling wood scanner parts! Dan Reetz will eventually be offering full kits -- wood parts and hardware. Check his thread here for progress and pricing.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
thinkJason
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by thinkJason »

I ordered a kit through Rob, and you can follow my build progress here. I'm extremely impressed with Rob's CNC work and quick turnaround. Once the parts were cut, Rob shipped them the next day and they arrived four days later. I would work with him in a heartbeat!

Thanks again!
goyoba
Number of books owned: 100

Post by goyoba »

(moderator edit) goyoba states that his supplier no longer sells scanner parts.
Beetle B.
E-book readers owned: Sony PRS-350
Number of books owned: 100

Post by Beetle B. »

I live in the Portland, OR area.

I'm really poor at building these kinds of things. I'm willing to pay someone who can build it for me if it's not too expensive. I'm willing to drive a few hours to pick it up (e.g. Seattle), or willing to pay shipping if the scanner can handle it.

If anyone is up for this, please PM me.

PS - I posted this yesterday and got a PM alert in my email - however when I logged in today it said there were no new messages. Furthermore my post from yesterday is not here. Did I break some rule...?
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

The whole forum has been restored to the state it was in two days ago. We did this because we were hacked. Please read Rob's post on the topic.

We never, ever touch PMs and it's not a part of our admin control software to do so. There are no secret deletions here and I have always been willing to discuss administrative decisions transparently and in public. I don't know of any "rule" you might be breaking, so no.
goldbuyer59
E-book readers owned: 2
Number of books owned: 40

Looking to buy kit or assembled book scanner.

Post by goldbuyer59 »

If anyone knows where I can get a book scanner similar to Ion Book Saver or The Book Liberator I am very interesed in buying for my school work. Thanks in advance.

Charles
Widelyunknown
Number of books owned: 25

Post by Widelyunknown »

I also ordered a kit through Rob. Everything happened on the time frame he told me and I got a tracking ID. I'm expecting it to arrive this Friday. He also refunded me the balance on shipping which really surprised me. That's definitely a level of good business I just don't expect anymore. (sadly).
Nishkish

Post by Nishkish »

Hi! I live in houston, Tx. I had been waiting on the ion booksaver for about a year until i learned it will no longer be made. I really need a book scanner, and am a bit intimidated to construct my own. Im willing to pay about $500. Can you please let me know to what extent i can get this made. Even if the structure and all the wires are constructed im willing to add my own cameras....will just need proper instructions of how to make it work with the right program? PLEASE HELP!!
Qanthelas
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Qanthelas »

I'm in the SW Michigan area (not too far from Notre Dame in Indiana) and I am not very handy when it comes to woodworking but I would love to buy one of these scanners. If there is nobody around close enough that I could drive and pick it up I'll probably just wait for a newer version and buy a kit from rob but I'm hoping to save the $70 shipping (and I'm hoping to have one at least mostly assembled :D )