Looking to Hire a Builder (SC/NC/GA area)

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

DrCheap
E-book readers owned: pdf
Number of books owned: 750

Looking to Hire a Builder (SC/NC/GA area)

Post by DrCheap »

I'm looking for someone willing to take on the job of building a book scanner for me. I'll pay for parts and reasonable labor. I'm looking for something functional and durable with high ease of use. I have a pair of A480s and will buy the remote trigger for them, so this is base, platen, lighting work mostly (no manual triggering). 100-120 degree angle platen and base (not 90 degree, please), at least 12 x 14 page size (per side), easy up-down movements, all black, etc. Daniel's design or your own, as long as it meets something like these specs and does 2-camera dual operation. There's a great deal I like about Daniel's design, but as long as what you build will do up to 3-inch spines, I will be happy. Does not need to be portable or stowable -- needs to be highly usable and allow me to do something ~500 pages/hr.

I started to set out on this project DIY-style but work is crushing me and I just don't have time. I'd like to have this up and running by March 5, 2012. I am in central South Carolina but can do up to 5 hour drive to pick up the scanner once it's built.

PM me here, please, or feel free to email me at DrCheap (at) DrCheap (dot) net -- we can chat specs, timeline, and cost. I'm willing to pay a fair price, but I'm not rich (just another academic with way too many old books and way too much old archival material that are wearing thin from overuse).

Thanks much.
chrisgage
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Looking to Hire a Builder (SC/NC/GA area)

Post by chrisgage »

If you are still interested, I may be able to help you with scanner like the one on the homepage of diybookscanner.org.

I have cut and built it in the process of starting work on an evolution of the design using 3D software. Currently it needs the two sheets of glass, the triggering hardware and the cameras, but is otherwise complete and working. It is not painted, ie it is in the original plywood color.

Here is a picture of the actual scanner I am talking about. It is mentioned in my build thread.

I am normally in Raleigh, but right now I am in Lausanne Switzerland until July 5th. At that point we could discuss.
Scanner Assembled.jpg
Gentso
E-book readers owned: iphone, PC, Apple
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Gentso »

I would be interested in one as well. I am in Georgia near Atlanta. Please let me know if you are able or are not able to help out.

Afe16rugby@hotmail.com
DrCheap
E-book readers owned: pdf
Number of books owned: 750

Post by DrCheap »

Thanks, I picked up a kit from Rob a few weeks ago and am starting on my build in a couple weeks.