Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

I'd like to pay someone to scan a book for me ..

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.
Mac_H
Number of books owned: 0

I'd like to pay someone to scan a book for me ..

Post by Mac_H » 03 Mar 2012, 23:58

Hi everyone,

I'm a fan of an old, long forgotten series of stories which are no longer available. So I did what anyone would do .. spent a few years tracking down the copyright owner and buying the copyright for them. (OK - maybe I'm a little more stubborn than most people)

So now I have the publishing rights for the series - but I don't have them in a usable file format. You can guess where this is going.

Basically I'm just looking for someone with a library card and a book scanner to translate the book into text. I know I'll have to do a decent amount of reformatting and cleaning up the OCR text afterwards - I'm just after a text (or MS Word or whatever) document and maybe a series of photos as well.

To make it easy the entire series of stories is available as a single omnibus edition at some libraries - it is in my local one:

Naturally I'm willing to pay (a flat fee) - let me know how much it will cost.

I can be contacted at: MacHarwood@gmail.com

Mac
(PS: As far as I know, this single book is enough:

The Spycatcher Omnibus - Lt Col Oreste Pinto ... although the many smaller books (Spycatcher 1, 2 & 3) would work equally well)

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: I'd like to pay someone to scan a book for me ..

Post by daniel_reetz » 04 Mar 2012, 00:41

What state and country are you in?

Mac_H

Post by Mac_H » 04 Mar 2012, 18:44

Q: What state and country are you in?
A: Sydney (NSW) - Australia.

However it's something that can be done from any country with a library system - since all I get back is a ruddy big email and all I supply is a paypal payment.

Mac
(PS: 'Spycatcher 2' was released in the US as 'Friend or Foe')

vitorio

Post by vitorio » 04 Mar 2012, 19:25

That's pretty interesting.

Can you prove you have the copyrights?

I'm not sure where it was originally published, but it looks like the first book may be in the public domain in the US: the first edition was published in 1952 here, and I can't find evidence of a copyright renewal. I don't see any of the others in the register of copyright scans Google has, though, so it's not a guaranteed thing. That means that you'd own the copyrights for the remainder of their natural term; they're not automatically extended when they transfer hands.

I'd be willing to try it as an experiment. I'll email you.

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob » 05 Mar 2012, 13:19

Just out of morbid curiosity, how much correspondence did it take to track down the copyright owner, and how much did it cost to obtain the copyright?
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.

Mac_H

Post by Mac_H » 10 Mar 2012, 06:16

It took a lot of correspondence. The hard part was getting people interested in corresponding - I was speaking with the agent .. but nobody at the agency had dealt with that work for a while - so it was buried in the back of filing cabinet .. and they knew it wasn't ever going to earn them big bucks. I assume they eventually got the work experience kid to track the file down.

But it was a bit of journey .. I also had to review wills to make sure that the rights had transferred to the right person etc etc.

I took quite a few years. (No - I'm not obsessive .. I did have a life and many other projects as well ! It was a background project - every few months I'd fire off another email to nudge someone)

The heir didn't care about the book at all .. and the amount I ended up paying them was not a life changing "I've won the lotto!" amount .. but enough to make it worthwhile - enough to pay for a nice little 'not too expensive' holiday.

It was the legal fees that were a killer! (I almost had to pay stamp duty on the transfer as well - but luckily they changed the rules a few years ago)

Mac