DIY Book Scanner Kits Now Available!

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

mdavis
Number of books owned: 0

Re: DIY Book Scanner Kits Now Available!

Post by mdavis »

Hi, I was wondering when scanners would be available for purchase on the website. It appears that they are quick to be sold whenever they are available. :)

Thanks,
Mark
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hey! Thanks for your interest, sorry for the delay, I've been on vacation with no internet access. I'm working on the next batch of kits right now; I'll save one for you and any other interested party. I need about another week or so to get them done and get everything in order. I'm doing much larger batches now so that there is less downtime in the store.

Cheers,
Daniel
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Hey, no problem. I appreciate your hard work involved in this. I was able to find a CNC router services company in Central Florida that would be able to create the wooden parts, however the price for doing so exceeds the price for your complete kit. If you're going to be selling more kits within the next few weeks, I think I will wait.

Thanks,
Mark
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Kits are in stock now and more are on the way.
Denivic

Post by Denivic »

Hey Mdavis I am in Central Florida, what's the name of the company with the CNC router? I email www.familab.org April of last year and got no answer back, their are the only place here in Orlando I can think of that actually have one.

~Frank
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Hey, Frank. Check out Phoenix Rising LLC. Their phone number is 407-905-0536. Stuart is the CNC router technician and should be pretty familiar with this design.

Thanks,
Mark
amergin
Number of books owned: 200

Post by amergin »

Daniel, do you sell the hardware (itemized in this image: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0161/8 ... ge.jpg?148) of the kit separately?

I can get the plywood parts CNC'd locally but the problem is going to be those small parts, all of which seem to be in non-metric scale. I'm based in Finland and I have a feeling that some of those parts are not sold here, so I'd have to order them from Ebay/Amazon either way. For instance, I've never seen dual-cable bicycle brake levers or the 10W led light the scanner is designed for. Not to mention figuring out the scale conversions and finding the corresponding bolt sizes etc. here locally can be difficult.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hey amergin, I'm sorry, I don't sell the parts kits separately. It's a lot of work to get them together, and I buy in quantities that let me make a batch of kits all at once, so if I sell a parts kit, I will have a spare wood kit.

I dohave more kits in stock, and another 20 on the shelf for people thinking about buying them. Also Mark Van De Borre is the official EU reseller - markvdb on the forums here. Send him a message, since he is closer to home he may be able to help.

I met the familab people at Maker Faire NYC last year and they were great and very excited about having a scanner. Maybe visiting their site would help?
amergin
Number of books owned: 200

Post by amergin »

daniel_reetz wrote:Hey amergin, I'm sorry, I don't sell the parts kits separately. It's a lot of work to get them together, and I buy in quantities that let me make a batch of kits all at once, so if I sell a parts kit, I will have a spare wood kit.

I dohave more kits in stock, and another 20 on the shelf for people thinking about buying them. Also Mark Van De Borre is the official EU reseller - markvdb on the forums here. Send him a message, since he is closer to home he may be able to help.
That's unfortunate. I already looked at Mark's site and its FAQ states that they only sell complete kits. Oh well, looks like it's Ebay and wandering for hours in a hardware store, then.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Well, here are some hints that might be useful to you.

1. Every 5/16" bolt can be replaced with an 8mm bolt of approximately equal length (there is no penalty for going a little over, as far as I can remember).
2. Every 5/16" nut can be replaced with an equivalent 8mm nut. Likewise with washers.
3. I have given up on and stopped selling the bike brake triggers for now and use only software/USB triggers myself.
4. The 10W LED is available on eBay and DX.com.
5. The bearings are available at any skateboard shop. 608rs or 608zz
6. The screws are "Drywall screws" (#6) and you can get away with different lengths if you must.

Did you find the shopping list?