DIY Book Scanner Kits Now Available!

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: DIY Book Scanner Kits Now Available!

Post by daniel_reetz »

Just to be clear, I am always making kits and will be for the foreseeable future. They just sell out fast, and I only stock the store with kits that are actually complete.

I do ship to Canada, and I would call the kits a "late beta". I feel that they are working well for what they are, and I have most of the production problems ironed out on my end. However, the manual is still undergoing changes, and software is basically undocumented except for user experiences posted here on the forum.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

oxobfe
E-book readers owned: nook
Number of books owned: 0

Post by oxobfe »

Is a mechanical changelog available somewhere in the wiki I'm not looking or on this forum that I'm not searching for correctly? What I'm looking for is a history of how often mechanical revisions get committed and if those are implemented in the the next kit stock. I just know it will be a long while before I get around to actually building let alone use this scanner and I would just rather wait until a restock rather than have a kit that's obsolete before I open it.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

No, there hasn't been a changelog, really.

Most of the production updates have been very minor - including more or less of one type of screw, or switching LED suppliers, etc. Most of what I've done in the last two months has been behind-the-scenes stuff on making production more efficient and less painful - leaving the kits untouched.

I am constantly testing stuff- new LEDs for example - but not making many changes. In any case, your strategy is good - buy one when you need one or have time for one.
kenletran
E-book readers owned: kindle
Number of books owned: 500

Post by kenletran »

Daniel, I would like to make a book scanner with material other than wood. I opened the eps and dxf files and the drawings enclosed do not have the dimensions.. (lengthXwidthXheight) Did I miss it?

Could I get these dimensions please. Thanks in advance.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

The DXFs are dimensional (in inches). I'm not sure what you're viewing them with, but many viewers support measuring from the files directly. When I open them in Corel Draw (for example) they open with the correct dimensions.
kenletran
E-book readers owned: kindle
Number of books owned: 500

Post by kenletran »

Daniel,

Thanks for the quick response. I will try opening it with Coral Draw to see if I can get the dimensions. I will update forum on progress and changes to my design.
Your awsome! thanks
nittyjee
Number of books owned: 0

Post by nittyjee »

I am wanting to create an scanner for oversized books. Can I just make this one bigger and have it work for books that are 14'' x 20'' x 6'' (page size 12'' x 18''), and can weigh upwards of 10-20 lbs?

Just wanted to give a heads up on this thread... I figured it would be better to post a new thread separately, so please reply here:
http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtop ... =14&t=2875

thanks
nitin
rayamberg
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 200

Post by rayamberg »

Hello all,
I'm located about an hour inland from Los Angeles. I was wondering, is there is any possibility for me to come buy and pick up one of the kits in person, to avoid potential shipping issues, and perhaps save some money on shipping? I can pay in whichever method is preferred (cash, check, credit card, etc.). I would like to get started on building my own scanner, so any assistance would be great. Thanks!
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Ray, sorry, I missed your PM due to a problem with the way the forum handles private messages. I've PM'd you a response, feel free to contact me via email as well.