DIY Book Scanner Kits Now Available!

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

rdx
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-550, Kindle, iRiver Story HD
Number of books owned: 100

Re: DIY Book Scanner Kits Now Available!

Post by rdx »

mellow-yellow wrote:Be sure to paint the scanner black! This is NOT for looks (although it does look cool) but to reduce glare. Your city may, like Portland, OR, offer a discount-priced recycled paint program. Ours, called Metropaint (http://www.oregonmetro.gov/index.cfm/go/by.web/id=521/), charges just $10 for a gallon of flat black latex paint, compared to $30 for the equivalent at Miller Paint, a popular nationwide supplier.
Wow. Thanks for the pointer! I just learned that my city has free recycled paint. That should save quite a bit.
zodium
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 109

Post by zodium »

This is an amazing project. I don't have the skills to build or develop something like this on my own, even with considerable instruction, but this kind of IKEA approach with a kit and pictures for dummies like me is fantastic. I'm in the Netherlands, so hopefully an international solution will get worked out, but I'm going to be following this. I have a lot of books that need scanning, and will certainly get more in the future, so it'd be a fun and practical project.
Denivic
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Denivic »

I will definitely purchase one in the near future. Havent looked at the need details, but what the total height and weight of this scanner? Sending mail to your gmail Daniel hope you can help.
mellow-yellow
Number of books owned: 1

Post by mellow-yellow »

Is anyone seeing glare issues with the LED light? See image below. I did cover the top of the scanner with dark cloth. Maybe the angle of the left platen wall in my setup isn't high enough? I haven't yet tried a diffuser or adjusting the height of the lamp...
Attachments
Glare?
Glare?
datanz

Post by datanz »

Hi, Can you ship to Auckland, New Zealand? If so, what'll be the total cost? I have a FedEx account if that helps. Thanks
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

@mellow-yellow: I'm wondering if different cameras have different focal length/angles of view that cause this. My camera (Canon Powershot SD1100 IS) on the hackspace scanner doesn't show a reflection of the LED, and we know the geometry of the scanner is the same.

There's a good picture of what I mean here.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
foolosophy
E-book readers owned: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-600
Number of books owned: 600

Post by foolosophy »

Silly question:
How do you scan a paperback with this scanner? Wouldn't the book close each time you release the scanner's handle to lower it and turn the page?
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

You unbolt the top part and turn it upside down. Then the handle doesn't serve any purpose. Just press the book down on the glass, and you trigger the cameras as usual.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
TimR

Post by TimR »

Hi Daniel,
I am from Canada and looking to purchase this . Looks like all the units are sold on this link http://diybookscanner.myshopify.com/pro ... canner-kit already. When are the next set of units be available. I would like to purchase it ASAP. Another thing, I will not purchase the cameras. I will use my own SLR cameras for this.
Thanks, Tim
etpaguia
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 50

Post by etpaguia »

Ditto with TimR. When I try to checkout, it says "Stock problem". When will there be available stocks?