Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Hiring a bookscanner out to the public

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.
MerlinMags
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 1000

Hiring a bookscanner out to the public

Post by MerlinMags » 12 Sep 2012, 13:52

I can't see any other discussions about hiring a bookscanner. I'd like to find out if anyone has considered it. Two reasons really: 1) I'd be tempted to hire one as I don't have time to build one until next year, and 2) If I finally build one, maybe I can recoup the cost by hiring it out. I'm in the UK, but would still be intersted in ideas from the US and elsewhere.

Professional hire costs in the UK are approx 500 GBP per week for an Atiz 'Mini' (smallest model that has a V-platen). I expect this is only used by large companies, not individuals or volunteer groups.

I guess it would be important to build a durable and attractive scanner with everything integrated, not a cardboard box that needs tripods and ceiling lights adding! You'd have to take a deposit that would cover both cameras if the person decided to run off with your kit.

Delivery would be expensive, and the scanner would have to be sent back as well, that's double the cost! If you could find customers near enough to drive to you and collect it themselves that would be best. But marketing would be the issue - would it be hard to find the few people in need of such a device locally? Perhaps you'd find that the number of people who'd use a finished scanner, if it didn't involve buying outright, would be way more than those of us prepared to build one ourselves.

Gerard
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Hiring a bookscanner out to the public

Post by Gerard » 14 Sep 2012, 01:19

Big library's have sometime scanners or just bye one and sell it after use used it (even with profit)