Fully assembled scanner in Seattle, with cameras, computer +

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

waldemar
E-book readers owned: ipad, iphone, pc, mac
Number of books owned: 10

Fully assembled scanner in Seattle, with cameras, computer +

Post by waldemar »

I've been following this forum and concept for quite a while, and was excited to be able to pick up an unassembled recent revision kit from someone else here in Seattle (thank you, @elhyam!). This was to supplement my destructive scanning (Fujitsu fi-6130, then later the ix500, cut off spines, bang 'em through). Got it assembled, picked up a pair of Canon A810s, the USB trigger from Frans van de Kamp, power supplies, and it works brilliantly. Also tried (with some success) to use it in a tethered direct-to-PC mode, and have a little PC set up with Ubuntu (as I recall - or maybe it was Windows...), some software, a touch-screen monitor, keyboard and mouse. The PC tethered option will take a bit more work to debug entirely, but that's a very cool way to do this.

So why am I selling it? Just a few weeks after I got it built we decided to move from Seattle to Indonesia (I'm a teacher), and this won't go in our luggage. I'm on a furious pace of destructive scanning my library of books, and need to sell this. No huge hurry - we don't move for a few months yet, so I'm not in a panic. However, for someone who needs a complete book scanner in the Pacific NW region, with multiple triggering options, this could be your baby. It is complete, assembled, and working. I intended to leave as much in natural wood as possible, because I liked that look, so have just painted the superstructure (the top demountable portion) flat black. I would also paint the cradle black if I were using it extensively, and have the paint to go along with the unit so that you can do whatever you like.

Now to price: I'm open to discussion on this, but would like $850 with the cameras, USB trigger, etc., and $1000 with the PC, touchscreen, KB, etc. Open to some discussion, but this seems fair and reasonable to me. Sorry - I won't ship it. I live in N Seattle, teach at a university in Kirkland (Eastside of Seattle, down the street from Google and near Microsoft, if anyone cares), and can demo it to you either at home or at my workplace.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Fully assembled scanner in Seattle, with cameras, comput

Post by daniel_reetz »

Sounds like a great deal to me. Please post a picture!
waldemar

Post by waldemar »

scanner.jpeg
scanner.jpeg (99.83 KiB) Viewed 7211 times
Thanks, Daniel - not just for affirming that this price is in the ballpark, but also for making this dream happen! Compared to the Atiz BookDrive Mini at $6300 without cameras (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,24 ... t+Reviews)) your units are a killer deal! If this semi-permanent move to Indonesia were not happening, you wouldn't be able to pry this unit from my hands.

I've uploaded a photo as requested, and I'd be happy to shoot closeups, give more details, etc.

Waldemar
waldemar

Post by waldemar »

Now sold - thank you!