Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Can I pay someone to scan my books?

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.
univurshul

Re: Can I pay someone to scan my books?

Post by univurshul » 08 Sep 2010, 13:11

Misty wrote:... Apple doesn't do it for you...
I would argue that Apple has created software that does the transformative production for you; all that's needed is a copyrighted CD. It's a seamless, effortless process all done by a 3rd party. This is assistance/service-oriented duplication at the pinnacle of copying. One reason why I point to it's legality is because it's intended for private use, it's intended for media you own as opposed to stealing. Any misuse of their services and features is obviously illegal.

Think about how many individuals that have sold off their CD collections after writing them to their hard drives. Despite how ugly it sounds, I think one of the main reasons this topic unraveled this way is similar in nature.

The dumping of books began awhile ago--for the many reasons discussed--and now many people can't even justify the need to own a scanner; just ask Spacewaya who started this discussion with this precise intent: scan and dump.

Daniel might have helped coin "The Author is Dead", but the physical book is dead as well it appears.

StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling » 08 Sep 2010, 17:14

univurshul wrote:I did the math, and it's in the best interest of the client to simply buy official digital editions of their books, rather than pay someone to scan--even if they can scan at 1,100 pages an hour, the opportunity cost is too great when an average ebook costs $20. So this service is for media that's not in digital form anyway. Publishers would love to get everything in DRM-form, but getting everyone on-board is a trick in of itself.
Some of my favorite authors' works are not available in any electronic form. When Disney bought updated copyright law to protect the mouse (that they stole from the Germans), they extended expiration dates. Thus you have several authors whose early works are available as free Gutenberg texts from which several usable ebook editions have been made, and whose later works won't be free for another decade or so. eBook editions of these later works are not available for love nor money. It's tantalizing to have half an author's corpus available for free electronically and the other half found only after a fair amount of scurrying about used bookshops.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 08 Sep 2010, 17:33

"Who's right about copyright" discussion comes up on this forum from time to time.

Aside from our one lawyer member, AFAIK I am the only person on this forum who has spent significant time talking to lawyers about the legality of what goes on here. The sole intent of this post is to share what I've learned back with you.

The opinion of the academic lawyers is that:

1. Fair Use principles enable individuals to format shift their own works under certain circumstances. If legally tested, fair use exceptions are tested on a case-by-case basis, so there can be no blanket statement other than "be careful".
1A. Whether it is OK for a third party to do this is unclear at best, in the eyes of the law.
2. What we do here, sharing information about building book scanners, developing software, etc, is perfectly legal.

The opinion of industry lawyers and many writers reps is nearly opposite.

1. You don't have fair use rights to a "Digital Edition" which is a separate work.
2. What we do here is inducing copyright infringement, a crime unto itself.

These are lawyerly opinions from lawyers who have trained in understanding the law.

Ultimately, the legal risk will be borne by the scanning entity. Our member "Iwenttoofast" runs a scanning business. Their existence doesn't prove legality. If you run a scanning business, someone may challenge your right to do so, and you, too, will need to talk to lawyers. I am not worried about it because I am not going to run a scanning business, though generally speaking, I think people should have the right to do so. I think there are very specific instances where DIY Book Scanning tech is the only solution for certain people and for certain problems, and I'm interested in pushing the technology as far as possible in those (many) directions.

univurshul

Post by univurshul » 08 Sep 2010, 22:33

I've re-read the entire thread and my arguments are based on other media forms infused into high technology, which basically benefits to support an argument rather than written law.

I too, am not pursuing the scanning service but I'll fiercely defend the small startup entrepreneur till the wheels come off.

I can't wait to see the elevator into space copyrighted and everyone suing each other over it.

univurshul

Post by univurshul » 27 Sep 2010, 15:41

Had a conversation with an entrepreneur friend. He suggested the service would be better served around the concept of equipment rental.

Rent a Book Scanner! If your intent is to buy digital books after you digitize your content, a rental sounds ideal. Yes, a New Standard is heavy to ship, but I'm guessing it's lighter than a full library, even on the media-snail-mail. Plus, I foresee some lighter, compact scanning instruments coming out on the DIY/custom-developer level soon...

What do the Feds have to say about this!?

Nothing!