Open source software AND Hardware camera

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

patprimate

Open source software AND Hardware camera

Post by patprimate »

I came across an open source software AND hardware camera today - http://www3.elphel.com/ - and instantly thought of the DIY book scanner project. In many ways it seems like the perfect fit for the crowd here, unfortunately it seams to be a little pricey still :( Hopefully their prices come down to an affordable level.

Cheers

Pat
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Open source software AND Hardware camera

Post by Misty »

Interesting! I hadn't heard about this before. I like the concept of an open camera.

It looks like they're targeting motion applications though, and the sensor resolution is limited to 5mp. That's fairly low res by still camera standards even though it's better than HD video, and that might be a bit too limited for most book scanning. It can't quite get 300dpi for a 9-inch tall book assuming you completely fill the frame and have no wasted space.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
Tim

Re: Open source software AND Hardware camera

Post by Tim »

A somewhat similar project that people may be interested in is Camera 2.0. Their focus is on an open source and open hardware camera for computational photography. That means advanced photography things like high accuracy timing, HDR, flash-noflash, and other things that would probably be major overkill for our purposes here, but very cool nonetheless. Their prototype runs Linux on an ARM platform and they are shooting for DSLR level sensors with the next version. Their software also runs on Nokia N900 smartphones to do pretty advanced stuff.