Preassembled bookscanner available?

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

gnome
E-book readers owned: Kindle for PC, Acrobat XI Pro
Number of books owned: 1000

Preassembled bookscanner available?

Post by gnome »

First, I have to add my voice to the increasing chorus of approval: these DIY bookscanners are absolutely brilliant!

I'd like to assemble one of these myself, but, unfortunately, I'm a full-time, year-round student with neither time nor tools required to assemble this book scanner--so I could use the help of an experienced craftsperson. If possible, and if this is the proper venue to do so, I am very interested in soliciting for a prebuilt DIY scanner from among community members who have successfully constructed one.

I'm happy to make a reasonable donation to this community project or to the individual assembler, which/whomever is more appropriate, in the amount of the cost of time, labor, materials, and shipping. If it will streamline the process, I'll provide the cameras, bulbs, and other materials that are easily gatherable/installed from my end. If you're interested, please send me a PM in the forum!

Thanks to all for taking the time to read this post--and thanks especially to the project founder/leader for empowering the individual with a high-performance, affordable bookscanner. Bravo!
LucasTizma

Re: Preassembled bookscanner available?

Post by LucasTizma »

Hey there. :) I too am interested in either a preassembled book scanner that someone is willing to part with or someone who is willing to build one for me. I'm in a similar position as gnome in that I neither have the skills nor the time to really create something like this. Anyway, feel free to contact me if you can help. :)
kentsin

Post by kentsin »

I can offer you my scanner. I am going to build the second one (a smaller design). Just give me your address. I do not like it because it is rather big.
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling »

I'm reading between the lines here, but I think that Dan's current "standard scanner" is highly amenable to doing just this. Specifically, I think that if Dan wanted to become a captain of industry, robber-baron, and/or running-dog-capitalist, he could put together assemble-it-yourself kits from parts he's gotten from Home Depot and cut to size. Before I built mine, I repeatedly asked if someone would schlep around for the parts and sell me a kit. After Dan finishes publication of his standard scanner, there's nothing preventing some ambitious, unemployed person from doing this himself and building a diy-book-scanning empire using Dan's designs.

I would like to see some kind of community co-op where the book scanner is shared by a bunch of hippies in Birkenstock sandals who'll let you scan your copy of Das Kapital for a small fee. Or scan it for you for a little more.

<why yes, my tongue is in my cheek a little bit>
Blanchot

Post by Blanchot »

I too would like to buy an already made scanner off of someone, or hire someone to build one for me. I just don't have the time to do it myself.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

The "Standard Scanner", at over 60 pounds, is simply not economical to ship. But I certainly invite someone from this forum to make kits from my plans.
zharnix

Post by zharnix »

I too would like to canvas my interest in purchasing a pre-assembled book scanner.

I can be contacted at zharnix@hotmail.com
MIGUELPARDO

Post by MIGUELPARDO »

We have done our first scanner in Madrid (daniel, i´ll send photos and video asap), we did it by http://medialab-prado.es/talleres. Is a very good idea to build a set, BUT, the development that i have seen from the first model made by daniel, is INCREDIBLE. If you produce a kit that everyone can get, the thinking cloud will die, and will be a pity. If you need just a book scanner because you dont have time, buy a comercial one!
Sorry, and don´t misandertand me, the value of common thinking is too good to be lost.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

If you produce a kit that everyone can get, the thinking cloud will die, and will be a pity. If you need just a book scanner because you dont have time, buy a comercial one! Sorry, and don´t misandertand me, the value of common thinking is too good to be lost.

I recently sold my A Model scanner-build to a med student at a way better price than a commercial scanner--and that build is faster than a commercial scanner as well. He has a ton of books and little time outside of studying to become a doctor. Having said that, I believe there's diverse group of hardware and software developers that are way further into this environment than others who simply are after a device that transcribes their media--they are seeking expertise from people like you, Miguel, as such, the same way you may someday seek advise from a medical doctor. Granted, there's something said for being versatile, rolling up your sleeves and working on your own concepts, tweaks and builds. But the cloud thinking won't die if people seek a simple universal plan. Because, you see: evolution of these devices is inevitable. To say one design or assemblage will suffice for everyone to clone is like saying "things never change," or your own designs will be the absolute best we'll ever seek. You may actually produce a design that is another new standard where everyone abandons the prior.

We will always be after improvements. If anything, the process allows users to build upon a universal idea that encourages rapid improvements and new ideas, designs, and software to boot. Clones evolve and survive if they're good, and simply die-off if they're not. I say let the creative process of technology determine this evolution.
Blanchot

Post by Blanchot »

I'm looking to hire anyone in Southern California to help me make a book-scanner.
leelaskin (at) gmail (dot) com