Preassembled bookscanner available?

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

univurshul

Re: Preassembled bookscanner available?

Post by univurshul »

SOLD: 08/17/10. If anyone is still looking for a DIY scanner of this type, I have enough components to build-up 1 more, complete to specification. That said, I'm moving onto to a new design, and ultimately a mobile smartphone design. I will post on the progress of these builds soon.

If anyone is looking for a custom prebuilt book scanner, you can view it's details here: http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... 4407#p4407

Feel free to contact me by sending me an email/message through the forum.

This particular build can be sold complete and ready for scanning or without cameras, preview displays etc. I have only one complete model remaining in this design. I've been working on further hardware designs and the sale of this project goes directly into future hardware builds. I've logged hundreds of hours of study and labor on this specific footprint for scanning; it's received extra attention to detail for successful scan-workflows.

Because of it's weight, I can only ship to USA, Canada & Mexico. Cost to transport is roughly $45.
Hawaii and Alaska are a stretch, as the shipping cost would be too egregious.

Regards.
Attachments
IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg (57.34 KiB) Viewed 18864 times
Last edited by Anonymous on 16 Aug 2010, 23:07, edited 2 times in total.
builderstudent2

Post by builderstudent2 »

Ahh! How did I miss this post! I am definitely interested in purchasing that scanner from you, univurshul. However, I do reside in Hawai'i so I hope that's not too much of a problem. How much is it or do I need to PM you for this specific information? Months ago, I posted about having a contractor build one for me but every single contractor turned me down cold after looking at the plans in Daniel's original build pdf. I was trying to have them build me a modified version of his 3rd generation scanner but no-one will do the work. That was a big shock for me, because I thought this was supposed to be something easy to do. Guess not. But anyway, please let me know the particulars so we can work something out. :)
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

Hawaii is a stretch. I'd have to get a quote through USPS. I sent you a PM.

This device hasn't met a book it can't scan.

Building a custom scanner is easy if you have a good grasp on hardware/software/electronics; their limitations, and how to manipulate parts to configure what you're after. It can take several days or several months.
recaptcha
Number of books owned: 0

Post by recaptcha »

Univurshul, I'd be very interested in your next version. I live in Canada, in a small apartment and don't have the space (nor do I know anyone who has space) to build one from scratch.

Please let us know when your new version might be ready. Thanks.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

recaptcha wrote:Univurshul, I'd be very interested in your next version. I live in Canada, in a small apartment and don't have the space (nor do I know anyone who has space) to build one from scratch.

Please let us know when your new version might be ready. Thanks.
Absolutely. it's almost there...
BeanBagKing

Post by BeanBagKing »

Another small apartment owner showing interest here univurshul :D I think you could make a killing off those of us who, for one reason or another, don't have the space to build our own (not to mention my landlord getting complaints about power tools).

I don't know if your interested in continuing to build these as a kit for others, I know these hand crafted projects are fun the first time but can start to wear on someone after a while, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to do anymore. If you are interested in making more though please PM me with the details (pricing, ETA, anything else I should know).

Thanks
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

The only delay right now is that my next hardware evolution for a book scanning instrument underwent a complete design revision last month; stamped to my own specification with custom fabricated parts and techniques to improve the scanning experience. I decided to expand on a great idea and dropped the footprint of my prior models I sold that were made from salvaged materials.

The new system I'm building is nearly complete. It is a very worthy design, compact to ship and suits users who don't have equipment/material access to build their own scanning systems. It will publish to the DIY site with insight to its construction as well. It's not necessarily going to be a difficult build for a skilled DIY member, but the materials won't be as widely available as a New Standard wood-based system.

I will dedicate any available time and efforts to contribute to the DIY scanning community. I'm actually working diligently to improve on an industrial design portfolio, so I take great pride in the crafting of these builds and the work of others here--it never gets old. I treat book scanning as an art. Very fortunate to be here and participate.

Regards.
eesa

Post by eesa »

any updates on your new scanner build?
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

eesa wrote:any updates on your new scanner build?
SAllAƧ Prototype build notes are listed here: http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=601

There is currently a small wait list for this new system; schedule is week-to-week on constructions and shipments. I will update in the forum soon with detailed specifications when I reached a more defined time-frame to service potential buyers.

Regards.
BeanBagKing

Post by BeanBagKing »

So the next semester is starting up, and apparently univurshul has left the community. I'd love to get rid of heavy textbooks, but I have the same problems as before and am looking for a book scanner.

If anyone out there is selling a kit, or pre-assembled book scanner, please send me a message or post here. I have no problems turning a wrench, but doing all the cutting/drilling/measuring is beyond my skill, space, and available tools.

Thanks
-BBK