New DIY Bookscaner.org Graphic

Just what it says.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

New DIY Bookscaner.org Graphic

Post by daniel_reetz »

Anyone have any opinions or criticism on this graphic?
DIY_Bookscanner_Home.jpg
(288.86 KiB) Downloaded 638 times
I'm thinking about using it on the front page (which also needs some metadata). Could be used for other stuff. My brother Poodus took the original photos; I 'shopped it into what it is now. I will, of course, be making it available under some kind of open license.
you1

Re: New DIY Bookscaner.org Graphic

Post by you1 »

Oh there it is, I didn't notice the book scanner until I scrolled to the right...

My first impression was that this was a religious related image/topic because of the characters (not that anything is wrong with it).

In my opinion, Greek philosopher characters/background would be more relevant, that is if it can be done.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Yeah, it seemed funnier when I first made it. And I don't want to put off a religious vibe. This community is open to anyone.
Karyudo
E-book readers owned: iPod Touch
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Karyudo »

In the "credit where credit is due" department, it *was* a religion-related dude (Gutenberg) who invented movable type to print books, and it *was* a religious text (The Bible) that he invented it to print. That quasi-religious association seems to be acceptable to the wholly-secular Project Gutenberg...

But I agree: this is a non-religious undertaking, open to all, and that should probably be apparent right from the start.
you1

Post by you1 »

daniel_reetz wrote:Yeah, it seemed funnier when I first made it...
Yes, it is cool and funny :)
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

I think it's awesome, except that I would put the printing press panel on the left and the screen on the right. To me, anyway, left-to-right is a progression, and to heck with the right-to-left and up-to-down world ;)

If you had the Photoshop Skillz, you might want one of the screen guys pointing at the screen (oohing and aahing over an ebook). I didn't notice the screen.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Ooh, cool ideas. And right-to-left shouldn't be much of a problem. I was thinking of you when I started this, because it would be much closer to the kind of colors/presentation we originally talked about for the blog page. I'll have a go at changing it up. The front page can remain the same, but a new blog banner wouldn't hurt, and a better color scheme could be a lot friendlier.