Wiki

Just what it says.

Moderator: peterZ

strider1551
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Wiki

Post by strider1551 »

Digitizer wrote: BTW, who has super cow rights to remove spam like the latest contributions of user "ClarkeRicks1"?
A couple of us do... don't have the list off the top of my head. The spam has been very minimal for a while now, so I've gotten a little lax in checking in on it. Thank you for mentioning that one - it's been removed and the i.p blocked.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Anyone who wants admin rights should contact me, we've got a group of great mods and could use more if people are interested.
Digitizer

Post by Digitizer »

Hi Wiki-Admins,

last days there appeared a lot of spam (text + images) on the wiki. Please have a look and remove it.
It seems that permissions are not set correctly... (!)

In another mediawiki i set this (LocalSettings.php) to permit only registered users to create and edit pages:

Code: Select all

# anonymous user
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['read'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createpage'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;

# registered user
$wgGroupPermissions['user']['edit'] = true;
$wgGroupPermissions['user']['createpage'] = true;
Cheers,
Marcus.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Marcus,

I'm making you an admin now.

Also, the left navigation bar is totally broken. Can anyone help me get that working again? I REALLY don't want broken navigation on the Wiki, or anywhere on the site for that matter.

EDIT: I added those lines to the end of LocalSettings.php. Hopefully that will prevent anonymous editing. I'm not sure why we didn't have that set... in fact, I thought we did. Are upgrades overwriting our admin settings or something?
Digitizer

Post by Digitizer »

daniel_reetz wrote:Also, the left navigation bar is totally broken. Can anyone help me get that working again? I REALLY don't want broken navigation on the Wiki, or anywhere on the site for that matter.

Hi Daniel,

navigation bar was rolled back to previous version until we have something new with functional links...

These settings in LocalSettings.php also prevent unknown/anonymous users from creating new accounts! You have to be aware of this because it is now task of an admin to create new accounts. New users have to ask for them.

Perhaps you should really have a look at the previosly mentioned phpBB-UsersIntegration extension. With this you can manage wiki users easily with the admin frontend from phpBB3.

Cheers,
Marcus.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I think the phpbb3 integration is a great idea - and really necessary - but what are the consequences for our current users?

(thanks again - I really don't know how to properly handle a Wiki and need all the help I can get)
the.traveller
E-book readers owned: Samsung Tab S
Number of books owned: 800

Post by the.traveller »

daniel_reetz wrote:I think the phpbb3 integration is a great idea - and really necessary - but what are the consequences for our current users?
Well just like with the sidebar, do it (After making a back-up first of course) and see if the existing administrators can still do things.
If not, reverse the implementation.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I understand that we can just try things and see what the consequences are, but I asked because someone may have direct experience.
Digitizer

Post by Digitizer »

daniel_reetz wrote:I understand that we can just try things and see what the consequences are, but I asked because someone may have direct experience.

Hi,

i will have a look at this extension (PHPBB/Users_Integration) in next few days and will give a report.

Cheers,
Marcus.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

You know, I feel like someone asked me to upgrade the Wiki somewhere, but I can't find the message and I won't have internet access for the next two days (well, I'll have Internet on my phone, but that's not really useful for forum administration).

Any upgrade requests should be directed at Rob. If any of our Wiki admins would like FTP or Panel access to do this kind of work, contact me privately and let me know your plans.