Wiki

Just what it says.

Moderator: peterZ

Tim

Re: Wiki

Post by Tim »

daniel_reetz wrote:It might be smart to have one wiki or CMS as a "builds database" and one as a "let's make a how-to guide".
Indeed. The Semantic Mediawiki is an interesting idea and sounds well suited to the builds database, but the how-to guide seems fine with the regular setup or the FLOSS manuals if we decide to go that route.

I think the focus now is on the how-to guide, with a builds database so far being in a simpler list of links form, just easy for anyone to update. So far, I moved the old build list that was at the wiki and added a couple to the top. http://diybookscanner.org/wiki/index.ph ... build_list I honestly think that's fine for the present. It's the ideas and benefits of each build thread that would be beneficial if it were collated into the manual that would be most helpful at first I think.

The next level would be to have a database of builds by material, style, etc. While I think that would have big advantages, it's a lot of work.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Misty wrote:On the other hand, if you're thinking of doing a how-to guide, that might not be as useful. If you're not planning on doing a page for every build though, I'd be interested in taking a look at putting that together.
We'd all appreciate your help. I'd be more confident in most anything you'd add than I, especially about cameras and archiving, but I'm willing to add stuff just to get things going.
bnz

Post by bnz »

Hi there,

coming from here, I wanted to reactive this thread to possibly start a discussion about an improved structure of the Wiki. My suggestion would be that the initial page is basically only a table of contents for the overall Wiki. I can imagine that the structure could look something like the following. This is just a suggestion to get the discussion going. Please comment :-)

Code: Select all

- Introduction to book scanning

- Photo Gallery of DIY community book scanners
  * V-shaped book scanners
  * Planar book scanners

- Hardware
  - Guides for building DIY V-shaped book scanners
    - New standard scanner
    - "Garbage scanner"
    - [Several other guides as they are written]
  - Guides for building DIY planetary book scanners
    - copibook-style scanner
  - Material guidance
    - Camera
    - Camera accessories (Tripods, ballheads, filters, lenses etc.)
    - Platen (museum glass etc.)
    - Wood
    - Foam
 - Commercial book scanners
   - V-shaped book scanners
   - Planetary book scanners

- Software
  - Camera software (capturing, remote triggering, tethered shooting, etc.)
    - StereoDataMaker (SDM)
    - Canon Hack Development Toolkit (CHKD)
    - gphoto2
    - Lightroom 3 (commercial)
  - Post processing software
    - Book restoration software
      - Scan Tailor (free, open-source)
      - Book restorer (commercial)
      - Atiz bookdrive edit (commercial)
    - OCR software
      - Tesseract (free, open-source)
      - Ocropus (free, open-source)
      - Abby Finereader (commercial)
      - Omnipage Pro (commercial)
    - Misc
      - Irfanview (free)
  - Target file formats (PDF, djvu, etc.)
    - PDF
      - Acrobat Pro (commercial)
      - NitroPDF (commercial)
    - DJVU
  - Post-processing workflows of community members

- Book scanning related patents

- Book scanning community research
  - Hardware
    - Kinect
  - Software
    - Dewarping

- About / Credits
I hope there is something useful in here :-) Oh yes, and my suggestion for a new Wiki would be rather to minimize links back to the forum. Rather, it would be useful if it is the other way round, i.e., if content and discussion results from the forum is prepared for the Wiki to be easily accessible for everyone. Maybe we can solve this link back problem by introducing explicit forum link sections.
strider1551
Number of books owned: 0

Post by strider1551 »

I really like that structure. I think the main page, though, should include a short introduction to book scanning before the table of content (and maybe that's what you were thinking). It would be good to keep links going back to the forum, but only as a citation... the actual content should stand on its own and not force people to read through pages of forum discussion.

Daniel - I know you mentioned deleting the wiki and rebuilding it. If that's too much trouble I wouldn't mind getting admin rights and cleaning out the spam from the current one.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'll make you an admin. EDIT: You are an admin. Go crazy -- I trust you guys absolutely.
strider1551

Post by strider1551 »

Thanks!

So looking at the deletion log and the IP blocking log, it seems that Tim has been keeping busy removing a lot of spam for quite some time now. Could you change the wiki so that an account is needed to make contributions, and that account creation requires a captcha or a validated email address? Those two things combined should keep a lot of spam bots out.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Holy crap, sorry that you had to do all that work, Tim.

I can indeed change that, though I'm not sure how. I'll look into it. If I give you greater powers, are you interested in making these changes?
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

This is interesting... maybe we can get the forum accounts ported over there with this plugin:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension ... ntegration

I changed your account rights to be the same as mine.

Still looking for the page that sets up logins.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I can follow these instructions when I get home.

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/MediaWiki/Spam

and disable unregistered logins. Then I'll install ReCaptcha, and we can think about forum integration...
strider1551

Post by strider1551 »

Sounds good. One of the spam bots has already recreated a page I deleted less than 20 minutes ago... so I think I'll wait until the captcha is in place before doing some more weeding.