Mac OS X, File manipulation problmes...

Discussions, questions, comments, ideas, and your projects having to do with DIY Book Scanner software. This includes the Stereo Data Maker software for the cameras, post-processing software, utilities, OCR packages, and so on.

Moderator: peterZ

kdem0n

Mac OS X, File manipulation problmes...

Post by kdem0n »

Hello DIY Book Scanner Community,

My scanner is up and running and I have a few bugs that need to be ironed out. Looking for you expertise in these matters...

1. When using JPG in ScanTailor I cannot find the correct DPI to import the images (I've fallowed the online tutorial and measured the 6 lines and nothing) any ideas? To get around this I just have a Batch Convert from JPG to Tiff in Photoshop.

2. Once ScanTailor is finished (manhandling the pages) why wont PhotoShop open it? I want to go from a huge tiff file Back to a JPG so its a smaller foot print... (is there some type of data ScanTailor adds to the TIFF that PS doesn't like?) I get a memory error (which I know to be false).

3). Once I upload all the ScanTailor Pictures to READiris to convert to a editable PDF, works great, a few hiccups here an there, nothing I can't handle. But man are those PDFs huge, any suggestion on how to put my PDFs on a diet and keep clarity? (Might just be a TIFF problem)

any help would be great.

Thanks
[K]

"Knowing is not enough we must apply,
Willing is not enough we must do."
~ BruceLee
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: Mac OS X, File manipulation problmes...

Post by rob »

Huge TIFFs? Are you saving in color? Do you need color? If you can save as 600 dpi Black and White, then you will save an enormous amount of space.

My procedure for determining the dpi is as follows:

1. Open a page image in some software that lets you measure coordinates, such as Photoshop.
2. Using the ruler tool, measure from a point in the top line to a point in the bottom line.
3. Turn to the same page in your physical book, and measure the same distance between the same points.
4. Divide Photoshop distance (pixels) by physical distance (inches), and that's your dpi.
5. Use a batch program (I use ImageMagick) to set the dpi parameter to the correct value in your camera images. It's as simple as mogrify whatever.jpg -dpi DxD.

Don't forget that your two cameras may have slightly different dpis, so it is best to measure a page from both cameras and apply the dpi correction separately.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.