Software for digitizing books

Discussions, questions, comments, ideas, and your projects having to do with DIY Book Scanner software. This includes the Stereo Data Maker software for the cameras, post-processing software, utilities, OCR packages, and so on.

Moderator: peterZ

mrosspa

Software for digitizing books

Post by mrosspa »

I've been searching through the different threads, and I'm not comprehending all the steps for processing the digitized pages. I've a number of questions, but I'll try to use one question per thread.

While there may be other software that can be used for managing the digitized image, Book Scan Wizard or Scan Tailor will likely be the software I use. While I'm willing to experiment, I don't have much computer knowledge. What tends to be better for a neophyte to use, and has help from other users?

I'm also trying to find out the strengths and weaknesses of each piece of software.

Thanks,

Michael
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: Software for digitizing books

Post by rob »

I have found ScanTailor to be very user-friendly, and I use it for my book projects. BookScanWizard requires editing text files (in its own editor), and I never really liked that. I tend to think, though, that BSW has better developer support than ST, although I've never really had to get support... Others may have other opinions!
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
Ryan_phx
E-book readers owned: Nook, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Software for digitizing books

Post by Ryan_phx »

Honestly, I think you should learn both. I use BSW to do one thing--remove keystoning (which ST can't do). Then I let ST's automation take over and do the rest of the processing. I'm with Rob--I'm not a big fan of the manual-ness of BSW, but it definitely does do a good job of doing what you tell it to do.

So really, I see these two as complementary, not competitors. But if I had to pick one to learn first, I'd pick Scan Tailor. It's easier to learn, and will do most of what you'll come across. Then when you're comfortable with it, learn BSW to give you some extra options.