Converting to File Formats

Discussions, questions, comments, ideas, and your projects having to do with DIY Book Scanner software. This includes the Stereo Data Maker software for the cameras, post-processing software, utilities, OCR packages, and so on.

Moderator: peterZ

mrosspa

Converting to File Formats

Post by mrosspa »

I became interested in the idea of digitizing books for access to the odd, obcure things I do. I didn't give much thought to different file formats until I thought about a friend that has to be read to because he is legally blind.

Does OCR need to be used to convert a file to PDF, Amazon Kindle, Nook, etc.? I realize there are many file formats, and some intended for the blind. I'm not sure the steps needed to convert to differnt file formats.
strider1551
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Converting to File Formats

Post by strider1551 »

mrosspa wrote: Does OCR need to be used to convert a file to PDF, Amazon Kindle, Nook, etc.?
Some formats can only contain images, some can contain images and OCR text, and some can only contain OCR text. If your friend needs to enlarge the text to read it, then a either images or OCR text formats will work. If the text needs to be read by a voice synthesizer, then you need OCR text.
snaguy
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Converting to File Formats

Post by snaguy »

Obscure like spelling obscure without the 's'!

It is nice you are thinking of your friend.

OCR is not necessary to create a PDF.

If you do OCR your document you will be able to use text to speech functions so your friend can have Stephen Hawking read for them!