Outline of software to use

Discussions, questions, comments, ideas, and your projects having to do with DIY Book Scanner software. This includes the Stereo Data Maker software for the cameras, post-processing software, utilities, OCR packages, and so on.

Moderator: peterZ

steve1010
E-book readers owned: Nook
Number of books owned: 100

Outline of software to use

Post by steve1010 »

hey folks, I am writing to find an outline for the software used in the process of scanning a book.
The sequence of events. From loading the software into the camera (Is a canon 400 model okay?) with the sd card to the processing of the image, to ocr if it is needed.
Outline of the process and software used at what point and and the pros and cons of said software. have looked over the posts but would love to see if we can aggregate
them or make sense of which to use, when, and what kind of out put to expect. Seems to be a bit confusing. Thank you all for your hard work.
In addition, is anyone in the South Florida area? Would love to compare notes on peoples experience locally. To provide support for the community. s
strider1551
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Outline of software to use

Post by strider1551 »

Are you interested in a particular platform (Linux, Mac, Windows) or a specific file format (Djvu, PDF, etc.)?

I did write up a walk through of how I do things on the wiki a while ago, but I'm a Linux and Djvu user which isn't the most common setup.
steve1010
E-book readers owned: Nook
Number of books owned: 100

Post by steve1010 »

I use windows xp. Been looking at the posts and there are a great many steps to this.
Would love to set up a linux machine but cannot at this moment due to budget concerns. This project
is so compelling! Need to do what i can with what is at hand. Thanks for your response. I am a newbie. s
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty »

If you're looking for DjVu, Strider's software and workflow is your best bet.

If you need PDF (for instance, to use on e-book readers that only do PDF), PDFBeads is your best option right now: http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=683

It's a little tricky to get working on Windows, but it can be done. It just requires installing a few things. I'm looking at a way to make it easier for people on all OSs without having to install any software.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
ManoH

Post by ManoH »

Hi, I'm looking for a software solution that enables me to convert into html or to be more specific - into an html page (preferably a live page), I mean I'd like to scan 7 books (of around 300 pages) into a Website so that each page is scanned into its own html page, however all pages must be linked with each other. I don't really mind how the text looks like it can be raw text, what I really care about is having all those books to be automatically uploaded into my site so eventually I get 2,100 raw text WebPages. Any idea how I can do that?
the.traveller
E-book readers owned: Samsung Tab S
Number of books owned: 800

Post by the.traveller »

@ ManoH: First tell the good people on what operating system you're working. Maybe it will be easier to reply with a solution.

Go to http://diybookscanner.org/wiki/index.ph ... o_Software for different OCR packages which could be used.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'm pretty sure that ABBY FineReader can do that, at least convert the table of contents into links, and the pages into HTML.
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

Misty notes an interest in making PDF Beads easier for Windows users... Hear hear! I gave it a try, and failed, and remain committed to my goal of never becoming a programmer. Would love to be an end-user however, and still find that making small PDFs is quite arduous.