Has BSW been abandonded?

Discussions, questions, comments, ideas, and your projects having to do with DIY Book Scanner software. This includes the Stereo Data Maker software for the cameras, post-processing software, utilities, OCR packages, and so on.

Moderator: peterZ

CaptOn
E-book readers owned: Kindle, windows tablet
Number of books owned: 20

Has BSW been abandonded?

Post by CaptOn »

Hi, getting back into some scanning and am trying to process some books, it looks like BSW has been abandoned. The webstarts aren't working and the last update for the downloadable version was in 2012. Is this so?

If so has anything taken it's place?
peterZ
Number of books owned: 20000

Re: Has BSW been abandonded?

Post by peterZ »

If you are referring to BSW as at http://sourceforge.net/projects/bookscanwizard/
There where code commits 4 months ago
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Yeah, I think SteveDevore spends less time on it than he used to, but it's not abandoned by any means.
CaptOn
E-book readers owned: Kindle, windows tablet
Number of books owned: 20

Post by CaptOn »

I've been thinking of putting together a HTML and JavaScript UI to perform the same kind of functions. In all honesty i was merely using BSW to grab data points to feed to my own batch files that i used with image magic.

The great thing about using a HTML java script wizard would be that others could see the code easily and edit it. I was looking at using something like jQuery sheet along side a basic SVG frame. I would have it so you'd have to manually link the file names to avoid relying on a PHP back end this wouldn't necessarily be tedious though. You could still have a PHP back end but not being reliant upon it would make it more distributable.

If such a thing were put together you could easily integrate it with the spreadPy projects, an additional advantage was that the same UI could generate boxes for the scripts to pipe images into tesseract for OCR.

Anyhoo. I'm a week away from orientation on a pretty intense course so i won't have time to work on this idea till the course is completed.

What do you guys think?
steve1066d
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 1250

Post by steve1066d »

BSW isn't abandoned, but yes, less time is spent on it as of late.

I've been thinking that it would be helpful to have a real scripting language (like javascript or python) for the processing, instead of the current bsw specific syntax.

I think the key advantages over bsw over a ImageMagick script is that you can immediately see the results of the operations.. and modify them as needed.

If you are interested in seeing BSW development continue.. I'd be open to hearing what you think it needs.

Also, as far as the webstart version.... I didn't realize it wasn't working... I'll take a look.
Steve Devore
BookScanWizard, a flexible book post-processor.
barth
Number of books owned: 0

Post by barth »

I've installed it only a couple of months ago using Java, not webstart, and it works like a charm.
Steve did a great job. It took some getting used to for me because I've never worked with open source/Java/command line interface before.
I'm looking forward to testing the Internet Archives upload.
Off topic: also good results on Metadata Extraction Tool / Metadata Extractor.