"Google Books on-a-disc"

Discussions, questions, comments, ideas, and your projects having to do with DIY Book Scanner software. This includes the Stereo Data Maker software for the cameras, post-processing software, utilities, OCR packages, and so on.

Moderator: peterZ

dalgard

"Google Books on-a-disc"

Post by dalgard »

Hi :)

As mentioned a few minutes ago in the "Hello" thread, I'm looking into opening a small shop where customers can digitize their printed material. The ideal end product for me would be something similar to Google Books, but placed on a cd or usb stick. That is:
  • Web interface for compatibility
  • Good search and copy functionality
  • Original scanned images augmented with markup for the purpose of copying and showing search results
  • The ability to load the book in several alternative formats, including DjVu, PDF, raw text, and image files
  • Good OCR with correct identification of line breaks (i.e. removing hyphens) and em dashes
  • A nice option for printing page or page range
If anyone would have the patience of telling me how far the collection of software in this project currently is from my ideal, I would be thrilled. As mentioned I would definetely be willing to help in the development of a solution living up to the demands outlined above.