Cataloguing Software

Discussions, questions, comments, ideas, and your projects having to do with DIY Book Scanner software. This includes the Stereo Data Maker software for the cameras, post-processing software, utilities, OCR packages, and so on.

Moderator: peterZ

E^3

Re: Cataloguing Software

Post by E^3 »

Hello,

We're using Koha,Eprints and Dspace
http://cobecoballes-linux.blogspot.com/ ... chive.html
http://cobecoballes-linux.blogspot.com/ ... chive.html

There are also some tutorials , if you want to try it.

Thanks

E^3
Philippines
Shaknum

Post by Shaknum »

If you are doing scholarly stuff, a bibliography package can be quite nice. Endnotes does a great job, or I use Bookends (with Mellel as the wordprocessor). There are others for mac that do a nice job as well, but I know that both Endnotes and Bookends will let you attach/link pdf files to any of your references. This is awesome for those of us who scan a huge number of books and make them searchable. I can find almost every reference ever written that mentions the Bisotun inscription, and it only takes about 2 seconds, rather than days at a world class library. It all depends what you need to do.
dansheffler

Post by dansheffler »

I looked at both EndNotes and BookEnds, but I was put off by the price tag since Mendeley seems to do most of what they do for free. Having my research books searchable and all right there was a major help writing papers this semester. With Mendeley I can just drag and drop into word from the book page I am reading and it will generate a citation.

I also like being able to tag my books by professor, semester, physical location, primary author, topic, language etc. That way, I might not remember who the editor is for instance, but I can look a book by Latin, Augustine, Dr. Hunter, Fall 2010 and see what critical editions I used this semester. It also keeps my PDFs synced across computers on-campus which is a plus. Now I simply cary a portfolio with graded/to-grade material and my kindle.
reggilbert
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by reggilbert »

the latest issue of a digital magazine called Computer Power User has a roundup of what it calls "archiving" software, programs that manage media collections, including book collections. it's the february 2011 issue, page 78. get to the page using the Acrobat-like page navigator at the bottom center of the page image here

if you try any of the software described in the article, or gain experience with any other cataloguing software usable for collections of scanned books, consider posting about your experience on this thread