Cataloguing Software

Discussions, questions, comments, ideas, and your projects having to do with DIY Book Scanner software. This includes the Stereo Data Maker software for the cameras, post-processing software, utilities, OCR packages, and so on.

Moderator: peterZ

dansheffler

Cataloguing Software

Post by dansheffler »

Simple question: what do you guys use to catalogue and organize your scanned books?
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: Cataloguing Software

Post by rob »

My file system :(

I've tried using Stanza, but I couldn't really get into it. I'm waiting for Blio to come out for the Mac.

My must-haves are to sort by author, by title, and by keyword (e.g. subject and/or user-generated tags).
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
lexicographer

Post by lexicographer »

similar here: filesystem with top-directories named after accession years, and sub-directories for every book with author, title, place and year of publ., plus long word-file ordered by author. Thus I can search for every information I have entered. Not especially satisfactory (files do get lost if I forget to enter them in the file), but I have never had the patience for a database.
zamacam

Post by zamacam »

On Mac, you can try Yep 2. I never tried it but a friend did it and now he always says it's a must have.

http://www.ironicsoftware.com/yep/index.html
Last edited by Anonymous on 13 Dec 2010, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
dansheffler

Post by dansheffler »

I have been using Mendeley and it seems quite satisfactory. It will sync files along with their bibliographic information across computers and keep all the files named properly etc. A Word/Open Office plugin generates automatic bibliographies and footnotes. Very useful for grad-school.
strider1551
Number of books owned: 0

Post by strider1551 »

Filesystem. Top level directories are author "last name, first name" and files are named by title. I'm not entirely happy with the setup, but I haven't found a good application that does everything I want. Worst case scenario if I can't find the book I'm looking for, either break out Beagle (a desktop search engine that can even search through the ocr content) or good old find.

Recently I've been playing with Calibre, which is actually quite nice but a few little things stop me from being really enthusiastic about it.
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling »

I rather like Calibre.
DSpider

Post by DSpider »

A folder named "e-Books". :)

I was thinking maybe I can find something similar to the Stanza cover flow on the iPhone but for Linux. But meh, double clicking seems to work fine.
Lazy_Kent
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Lazy_Kent »

What about Tellico?
I don't use it myself, but it looks interesting.
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

A couple of years ago, I bought Book Collector from collectorz.com. I think it's a good database for those who are looking for something like this, but I'll admit I don't currently use it myself. My hardcopy books are still uncatalogued. My eBooks are on stacks of CDs and DVDs, and I add a file to each CD or DVD as I burn it which has the complete list of titles of all the CDs and DVDs I've burned to that point, along with a 4-digit number telling which disc the title is on. If I ever get to the point where I have more than 10,000 discs, I'll know my habit is out of control.

Obviously, this system is not searchable by author, keyword, or genre, but even my old brain is usually able to recall the title of the book I'm seeking, and when I can't there's always the internet. Some day when I have more time than I can fill, maybe I'll try to get the books into my "real" database, with cover pictures and downloadable data. Right now, I can more easily find the ebook I'm seeking than the hard copy (and I know I wouldn't be updating the database when a hardcopy book moved from the shelf to the pile beside my bed, or the pile under the table, etc. which is kind of the reason I never got around to cataloging my books in the first place).

Numbered disks, and a flat file. Works for now.