Newbie - needs help w/getting started with software

Discussions, questions, comments, ideas, and your projects having to do with DIY Book Scanner software. This includes the Stereo Data Maker software for the cameras, post-processing software, utilities, OCR packages, and so on.

Moderator: peterZ

cgott42

Newbie - needs help w/getting started with software

Post by cgott42 »

Sorry for the newbie question
I have my cardboard/duct tape scanner set up
set up lighting
and have installed CHDK on to the camera
My question now is what next:
I read through the CHDK manual - but not sure what to do in regards to aquiring the image(s)
Does the software allow the images to save directly to the computer's hard drive - if so how (or do I need to save to the camera's memory card first?)
Secondly - re: a trigger - do they require soldering or expertise to make? Can I buy one?

thx
spamsickle

Re: Newbie - needs help w/getting started with software

Post by spamsickle »

I save my images to the camera's memory card, and upload them to the computer after I've finished a book (or several).

The electronic switches I've seen do require soldering, but I think some people are experimenting with mechanical switches which wouldn't. If you have CHDK installed, you can use a timer script without a switch to take the pictures. Take a look at the "Camera Triggering" thread in the Hardware section for the script I use and other ideas on firing the cameras.
cgott42

Re: Newbie - needs help w/getting started with software

Post by cgott42 »

OK - I'll use my SD card

Can it show the images on the PC screen?

Where do I find scripts to use for CHDK that do this (i.e can you send me a link)
and info on how to compile or whatever needs to be done to the camera to run the scripts

thx