Magazin the easy way

Book scanning methods that involve taking books apart.

Moderator: peterZ

qv_
E-book readers owned: iRiver
Number of books owned: 1000

Magazin the easy way

Post by qv_ »

I have don several magazine by cutting of the back off the magazine and then put them into the scanner.
No big deal.

Then I borrow some magazine. Can´t cut them, the owner want like me then.

So after a while a found out (on a office maschin Sharp MX4101) that you take of the two "clamps" ? that hold the magazine paper together. Then you have A3 paper with 4 page on each A3.
You tell the scanner that you like to scan A4 size.
Putt in all A3 paper. The scanner scans the "last" A4 part of the A3 paper.
Turn around the block of A3 paper and scan again.
You have now 2 PDF files that have all the side in right order.
Just merge the PDF´s together and your scan is complete.

"re clamp" the magazine and your ready for the next work.

The "re clamp" is the hardest part to do, It never get as god as new so this ending up to be partly destructive :-)

/Jan
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Magazin the easy way

Post by cday »

That is interesting, I gave some thought a while back to scanning a large number of magazines by removing the staples ("clamps") and then feeding the pages through a sheet-fed scanner.

Did you have any problems with paper jams or misfeeds? I looked in the user manuals for several mid-priced scanners and saw warnings about possible issues when scanning pages that had been folded or had holes punched in them. You have access to a very up-marker scanner so perhaps paper feed is less of an issue, or perhaps a lower price scanner would work reasonably well in practice, although it might be hard to know for sure before buying the scanner!

My idea was to scan the full A3 (or whatever) sheets and then split the resulting images into the separate pages. That would have required renumbering the split pages using an algorithm that took account of the total number of A3 sheets in the magazine. For instance, in a 100-page magazine the first side of the first A3 sheet would consist of pages 1 and 100, the second 3 and 98 etc, and the other side pages would be interleaved.

Your method of only scanning the far A4 area of the sheet neatly avoids the renumbering issue, but it does mean scanning twice, which on a large scanning project could add significantly to the overall time required, and if the project was very large also significantly increase the wear on the machine. You are evidently scanning duplex, both sides of the sheet at once, if you are capturing all four pages on an A3 sheet in two passes. That capability is also available of many more reasonably priced scanners.
qv_
E-book readers owned: iRiver
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Magazin the easy way

Post by qv_ »

When it comes to realy thin paper it have some problems but the magazine I scan (now) is no problem.
Yes the scanner is a duplex scanner that take both side in one sweep.

There is no (extra) service cost on the scanner parts... so if the maskin wear out is no problem.

If the magazine is 16 page or 56 is realy no difference in time.
From start to end (with new staples) is around 10-15 minutes.

take away 2 staples
scan X 2
re clamp
merge PDF
Check al page that is good
Name PDF.

The extra 5 minutes is for A3 drawing and other "non A4" happenings in the magazine.

/Jan