ix500 workflow. Scan directly to grayscale/bw or do it in photoshop postprocessing?

Book scanning methods that involve taking books apart.

Moderator: peterZ

Scanallthebooks
Number of books owned: 0

Re: ix500 workflow. Scan directly to grayscale/bw or do it in photoshop postprocessing?

Post by Scanallthebooks »

Wow, I thought the version I attached had great quality. :lol: Alright I've attached the original huge version:
scan.zip
(2.85 MiB) Downloaded 400 times
Come on, you cannot say these are small images, the dimensions are absolutely HUGE. :lol: (for some reason if I attach the png image directly the "Place inline" button doesn't appear...perhaps it's not the size that is the problem, but the huge dimensions!)

I personally think "Increased text contrast: ON" brightness 1-3 looks best. The scans were made using ADF. It's new and uses a CIS module so i don't think the glass is unclean.I think the noise is caused by the severe yellowing of the pages (refer to my color scan last page) :)
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Re: ix500 workflow. Scan directly to grayscale/bw or do it in photoshop postprocessing?

Post by cday »

You're right, the images do have large pixel dimensions (scanned at 1200DPI, I see) but trying to compare images in the composite image was difficult due to the need to zoom well in.

Having looked at the original colour image again, the dark marks on the image do result from dark marks on the original image so that does complicate conversion to a white background, not the typical case where the background is either yellowed paper or a purer uniform colour.

I've cropped out the On, Brightness = 3 image which still has large pixel dimensions but currently have a problem that, using two programs, the cropped image is somehow being converted from grayscale to 1-bit, which I don't immediately understand.

So your choices for that book seem to be either to go with the coloured background of the original pages, or to work harder to possibly obtain an acceptable white background using a combination of scanner settings and later enhancement, if the unwanted marks are not too dark to eliminate that way.