I Tried the Nook eBook Reader Today

Anything about eReaders. If you want really deep discussion, though, go to mobileread.com.

Moderator: peterZ

GoDigital

I Tried the Nook eBook Reader Today

Post by GoDigital »

I tried out the Nook eBook Reader at Barnes and Noble today, and it is great. Has anyone tried loading a PDF of a scanned book in an eBook reader yet? Here's a feature comparison of the Nook versus the Kindle 2: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/
- The Nook takes SD memory cards, has Wi-Fi, and has a user replaceable battery, the Kindle 2 doesn't. The Kindle 2 has text to speech, the Nook doesn't.
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Re: I Tried the Nook eBook Reader Today

Post by StevePoling »

GoDigital wrote:I tried out the Nook eBook Reader at Barnes and Noble today, and it is great. Has anyone tried loading a PDF of a scanned book in an eBook reader yet? Here's a feature comparison of the Nook versus the Kindle 2: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/
- The Nook takes SD memory cards, has Wi-Fi, and has a user replaceable battery, the Kindle 2 doesn't. The Kindle 2 has text to speech, the Nook doesn't.
I have the Kindle DX and SONY eReader. The DX handles image-based PDFs OK; the SONY screen is too small unless the PDF came from the scan of a very small sized book. The SONY is the same size as the Nook, so I think you'd be disappointed unless you OCR the scan, and make an ePub of it.

Another consideration is speed. Image-based PDFs page very slowly on the SONY. The review I read of the Nook today said it's a slow device. This makes me think you'll be disappointed by that, too.

That said, the Nook is an interesting device for no other reason that it'll spur Amazon and SONY to get even better.

I just got the Motorola Droid for Christmas. It has an ePub reader you can install that looks good. But Amazon and Barnes & Noble don't have clients for the Droid, though they do have clients for the iPhone. Come to think of it, I should see if it can handle PDFs...