Que? Anyone?

Anything about eReaders. If you want really deep discussion, though, go to mobileread.com.

Moderator: peterZ

IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Que? Anyone?

Post by IcantRead »

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/01/ ... ic-launch/

It looks like the perfect eBook reader for book scanners. Although the price tag is a little out of my budget. I have been watching it with great interest for a wile now. Now that its out I'm slightly disappointed with some of the things its lacking. Most of all the lack of an sd card slot, and I'm sure it dose not have text to speech either. Once the price comes down a little I may get one.
spamsickle

Re: Que? Anyone?

Post by spamsickle »

Looks like it accepts a USB connection, so you can plug an SD card in if you want. I assume you can display directly from the USB connection, rather than being required to download to the Que first, but that may be a bad assumption.

I like the fact that it's an e-ink device, but at that price for those features I'll pass.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I think the Notion Ink Adam looks like the ultimate reader at the moment. And I really want a Pixel Qi display.
IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Post by IcantRead »

Wow the Notion looks very impressive. I'm a big fan of android, I have had the g1 sence it came out. Android needs a lot of polishing though. I'm not sure how good it will work for an ebook type device.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

I'm impressed with the PixelQi display. I had no idea that it looked so good without full power.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
alrumich

Post by alrumich »

iRex Digital Reader ($399 @ BestBuy) should be a good and much cheaper option, although, somehow, iRex have not added ink support yet...
Plautus

Post by Plautus »

I too had been lusting after the Que, thinking it would be perfect for scanned items; I didn't worry about storage so much because of the wireless capability (wifi and 3G for the very expensive model). Should have known how expensive it was going to be when they wouldn't ballpark a price for a year and kept saying it was for the "business" market. Still I was prepared to pinch some pennies and scrounge for eBay auctions for the thing, until I saw demos of the finished product which were as amazingly slow as the prototypes they'd shown months earlier. This would be almost tolerable if you were just reading through documents page-by-page, but the big eReader draw for me this academic is the ability to carry a reference library with you everywhere, where you can find the nugget of info you're looking for in a few seconds of "flipping around". I guess eInk is not up to the job yet, if it ever will be.

Mirasol might be worth watching down the road, but I've definitely got my eye on something with a PixelQi screen for my next reader.
Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly.