Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Tape Collection

Whatever.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Tape Collection

Post by daniel_reetz » 14 Feb 2010, 11:29

I really, really love tape. Tape of all kinds. For each task, a specific kind of tape. This is about 1/3 of the tape I've accumulated over the last year (the other 2/3rd was used up, or is somewhere else in the basement).

Thing is, I just now realized how weird this is.
tape_collection_20100214_001.jpg
tape_collection_20100214_001.jpg (244.53 KiB) Viewed 7091 times

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: Tape Collection

Post by rob » 14 Feb 2010, 11:47

I knew it! I knew you were weird!

What's your most hated type of tape? Mine is the colorful electrical tape that hardly sticks to anything. (I think I see some on the middle left there)
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.

StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling » 14 Feb 2010, 14:01

Dan, I don't see any gaffer's tape on your wall. It's wonderful stuff: flat black, not shiny. Ideal for optical applications. You got to get some!

Consider these two images.

Without gaffer's tape:

With gaffer's tape (and black duck tape):

My wife scored an end-roll of gaffer's tape from some theatre major, but it wasn't enough so I had to finish with conventional black duck tape. Observe the specularity (shine) of the tape on the right edge of the image.

daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz » 14 Feb 2010, 22:46

That's an impressive comparison. Does that look to you like the same contrast reduction effect Misty got in another thread?

StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling » 15 Feb 2010, 02:21

I would not try to draw any conclusions from these images. Too many uncontrolled parameters. I've got to keep a notebook wherein all camera settings are enumerated. I've been just tweaking stuff. I'm most concerned about keystoning right now. Contrast improvement is nice, but...

IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Post by IcantRead » 15 Feb 2010, 16:48

I'm a big fan of tape also. My favorite is probably the aluminum foil tape. Some thoughts on duct tape because I use it the most often. I will not buy duct tape unless it is 3M brand you pay a little more but it is well worth the $1.50 extra. I have found a way to keep duct tape edges from sticking to everything, when I first take it out of the plastic packaging I place both sides on a paper towel then cut out around the tape. This leaves the sides of you duct tape nice an neat. Finally my last wallet was made from black and red duck tape, I wish I had pictures of it.

I like your tape rack I think i'll have to make one of those. Also nice dill!

Is that top one third from the left drywall tape?

IcantRead

Post by IcantRead » 15 Feb 2010, 18:29

You want to see a good use of tape? Thereifixedit.com

daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz » 15 Feb 2010, 19:32

rob wrote:I knew it! I knew you were weird!
LOL! :D :)
rob wrote:What's your most hated type of tape? Mine is the colorful electrical tape that hardly sticks to anything. (I think I see some on the middle left there)
AGGGHHH yes. But actually this colored tape is not quite as bad as the kind you're thinking of. It's a Harbor Freight product... had it about 6 months -- also, it doesn't seem to get hard like the stuff you're talking about.

I think the tape I hate most is cheap packing tape, like the rolls hanging off the bottom of the rack. It annoys the hell out of me when I can't pull up an edge from the roll, and then when I do finally get the tape to come off the roll, it seems to cut itself and roll off on some long curve.... so I have to go hunting for an edge again. AAGHHHHHHH.

Also, old masking tape, when it starts bonding to itself. MURDER.

OR WORSE. Double-sided tape where the plastic film won't come off!!! The red roll on the rack is that way. Blasted stuff, I have to use a razor blade to get the red film from the double-sided foamy bits.
IcantRead wrote: I like your tape rack I think i'll have to make one of those. Also nice drill!

Is that top one third from the left drywall tape?
Yeah, it is a totally awesome drill. Thing is dangerously powerful and almost stupidly heavy. And RIDGID warrants their batteries for life!

That is drywall tape. I was hoping I could laser it into interesting stencils since it is pretty low-tack, but it turned out not to be very useful in that way. Oh well, bought two rolls for a dollar each at Habitat for Humanity. Haven't been there in a few months because I'm afraid I'll spend the remainder of my money. :)

Also, yes, if you've never used aluminum foil tape, it is the most amazing tape ever. The way the aluminum conforms to a surface is an awesome feeling...

IcantRead

Post by IcantRead » 15 Feb 2010, 20:17

When I worked at the airport, we used the aluminum foil tape to protect the airplane when buffing the leading edges. The leading edges were also made out of aluminum, so I would get a mirror finish on the tape as well as the leading edge. Anyways I have a big satellite dish in my back yard that I would eventually like to make into a solar power plant. So I wanted to a line the inside of the dish with aluminum foil tape and buff the hell out of it. I decided that this would be counter productive though because the tape would cost more than what I would make from the power. Maybe spray adhesive and tinfoil.

DDavid

Post by DDavid » 16 Feb 2010, 12:38

I hate cheap electrical tape period. 3M #33 is all I'll use given a choice.