Ouch! Table saw got me.

Whatever.

Moderator: peterZ

Afish

Ouch! Table saw got me.

Post by Afish »

I was foolishly holding a piece of wood trying to make a channel on the bottom for my mechanical foot trigger with a table saw but ended up in the emergency room instead.

No fingers lost thank God but I cut my index finger and the blade fractured the bone and tore a chunk out of my thumb. Time should make me good as new.

Be careful out there. Getting hurt takes the fun out of making a book scanner.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: Ouch! Table saw got me.

Post by rob »

:( I hope your recovery goes well!

I always use my table saw with the guard off, but before every single cut I take some time to verify the placement of my fingers and imagine the path of the blade in my mind to make sure it doesn't intersect with my fingers! But as paranoid as I am, I still live in dread of the day when what happened to you will happen to me.

Many years ago I took a course in woodshop techniques, and the instructor said he had cut off his thumb on a table saw. The surgeons were able to reattach it, but obviously with reduced mobility, sensation, and so on. So even the experts get zapped sometimes.

Ah, power tools!
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
Afish

Post by Afish »

[quote="rob I still live in dread of the day when what happened to you will happen to me. [/quote]

Rob, it might because I also verified the placement of my fingers and the path of the blade yet when the piece bucked my hand was sucked into the blade. The only way to eliminate the possibility is to hold or guide the piece with an object other than your hand.

The table saw I will still use again with greater safety but my chain saw I think I will get rid of.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Yes, that's another thing I do -- use a pusher piece. But no matter how many precautions, as you said, it's always possible.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Holy crap, Afish! I hope you're healing well.