Best OCR for Math Books?

Convert page images into searchable text. Talk about software, techniques, and new developments here.

Moderator: peterZ

IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Best OCR for Math Books?

Post by IcantRead »

I am looking for the best program to run ocr on math and physics books. I was wondering if anyone did scanning of these? I have been using OmniPage that works really well for the words but when there is symbols or math equations I have to manualy make them into pictures. This is very very time consuming. Any thoughts or ideas?
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Best OCR for Math Books?

Post by daniel_reetz »

This, I think, is one of the hard problems in OCR. I have the same problems with ABBY finereader.
nalfonso

Post by nalfonso »

I Googled the topic and found this:

http://www.inftyproject.org/en/software ... nftyReader

Apparently they have tackled the issue, there is a fifteen day free trial download (50MB) and if you decide to buy it, you need to fork out 900 USD.

I checked out the test sample results offered in their webpage, and they seem fine.
IcantRead

Post by IcantRead »

I looked alittle more indepth into it and aparently it only dose black and white. It looks like a really cool program though, thanks for the link. O yeah and the 15 day trial is "15 days in total after the installation. If you use two days per week, for example, then you can use the software for more than seven weeks." there is also no page limit so i'll just have to scan all my math and physics books in, and get them all preped, and do them in one day.