Need fast help to TiF -> Searchtable PDF (OCR) SWEDISH

Convert page images into searchable text. Talk about software, techniques, and new developments here.

Moderator: peterZ

Pelle
E-book readers owned: Asus Transformer Prime
Number of books owned: 14

Re: Need fast help to TiF -> Searchtable PDF (OCR) SWEDISH

Post by Pelle »

btw Daniel. The pictures so that you could check the quality of the images and resolution dont matter for this forum post anymore. We know what caused the problem now as stated above and how to solve it so would it be possible that you delite the [IMG] above?

best regards, Pelle
abmartin
Number of books owned: 2000

Post by abmartin »

Glad to hear things are working better! If you are using the first image, 600 is still going to be too big. The number you should enter is for how many pixels there are in 2.54 cm. (2.54 cm = 1 inch) If your book is a5 size, for example, your image would need to be 3500x4958 pixels to be 600 DPI. Just glancing at the shrunk images in the thread with the dimensions you provided, I'd bet you would get better results from about 250 DPI.

If you end up doing a lot of this, I would suggest photoghraphing a ruler. That way you can know for sure how many pixels are in that 2.54 cm space!

Sorry about the non metric measurements. Blame the folks at Xerox Parc in the 1970s and later at Adobe and Apple who defined the postscript standards we use for desktop publishing! It's not just you, it's everyone in the world except the United States that would prefer metric. (Although most folks from English-speaking countries still use both systems) It is the way it is since a US company made the first laser printer and defined the terms that are used.
Pelle

Post by Pelle »

Thanks again abmartin. I think I follow some of the inch thing you are talking about. But I dont know how to count it, I mean...

I I tape or paint a metric ruler on my stand and the book is say 10x6 cm to take an axample. Is there any mathemathic form I can use to get the info on what DPI I should use? (2.54 cm * 10) / someNumber ?

:)
dpc
Number of books owned: 0

Post by dpc »

What you want to do is set your camera up to frame the page and with the zoom and camera position set, replace the book with a metric ruler (or an image of a metric ruler) and take a photo.

Download the photo to your computer, open it in your favorite paint program and then count the number of pixels across one centimeter on the image of the ruler. You then multiply that number of pixels (which is DPC - dots per centimeter) by 2.54 to get DPI (dots per inch).

Simple, yes?
Pelle

Post by Pelle »

Thanks alot dpc. That was very helpful. :)

8-)