Need basic guidance on converting Adobe PDF's to TTS readabl

Convert page images into searchable text. Talk about software, techniques, and new developments here.

Moderator: peterZ

TENNScan
E-book readers owned: ~20
Number of books owned: 0

Need basic guidance on converting Adobe PDF's to TTS readabl

Post by TENNScan »

I have all these books scanned in by 1DollarScan. In Adobe I can convert them, but it will not read them on VoiceDreamReader app. What do I do for this? I downloaded the Tesseract OCR, but that's just the OCR. What program do I use to run the OCR?

Sorry if this seems super basic, but I'm really stuck.
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Need basic guidance on converting Adobe PDF's to TTS rea

Post by cday »

TENNScan wrote:I have all these books scanned in by 1DollarScan. In Adobe I can convert them, but it will not read them on VoiceDreamReader app. What do I do for this? I downloaded the Tesseract OCR, but that's just the OCR. What program do I use to run the OCR?

Sorry if this seems super basic, but I'm really stuck.
I have no experience of text-to-speech software but Googling 'VoiceDreamReader' produces this information:

Voice Dream Reader can access a wide range of document types, including:

Plain text (TXT)
Rich Text Format (RTF)
Microsoft Word (DOC and DOCX)
Microsoft PowerPoint (PPT and PPTX)
Portable Document Format (PDF)
Apple Pages (PAGE)
Apple Keynote (KEY)
Web (HTM and HTML)
eBook (ePUB)

Were the books you had scanned by 1DollarScan scanned with the OCR option? If you're not sure, you can easily check by opening one of the PDFs in Adobe Reader or Acrobat, and then using Edit > Find (or Ctrl + F) to search for some test words.

If the PDFs aren't already searchable you need to make them searchable, which from your post looks likely to be the case. Do you have Adobe Acrobat, or only Reader? If you have Acrobat you can OCR them using Edit > Edit Text & Images > Text Recognition. If you only have Reader then it's probably back to Tesseract and help from someone familiar with that software, unless you are prepared to purchase commercial software such as Adobe Acrobat. or rather less expensive, Abbyy FineReader.

You say "In Adobe I can convert them" -- could you clarify what you mean?