What is the best free OCR software?

Convert page images into searchable text. Talk about software, techniques, and new developments here.

Moderator: peterZ

BillGill
E-book readers owned: Calibre, FBReader
Number of books owned: 7000

What is the best free OCR software?

Post by BillGill »

Backstory: I am planning on taking my scanner to the Tulsa Maker Faire in late August. Here at home I use my desk top computer with ABBYY Fine Reader to convert my scans to text. However, I will be taking my lap top to the Faire, and I don't want to buy Fine Reader for the small amount of time I will be using it. So I need a good free OCR program. I currently have FreeOCR on the laptop and it works, but I would like to do the demonstrations with the best free software available. Any body got any good suggestions?

Thanks in advance, I figure I will get some good advice.
Bill
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Re: What is the best free OCR software?

Post by cday »

BillGill wrote: 22 May 2018, 10:05 Backstory: I am planning on taking my scanner to the Tulsa Maker Faire in late August. Here at home I use my desk top computer with ABBYY Fine Reader to convert my scans to text. However, I will be taking my lap top to the Faire, and I don't want to buy Fine Reader for the small amount of time I will be using it. So I need a good free OCR program. I currently have FreeOCR on the laptop and it works, but I would like to do the demonstrations with the best free software available. Any body got any good suggestions?

Thanks in advance, I figure I will get some good advice.
Bill
Have you checked the ABBYY FineReader licence?

I'm sure it used to allow installation on two devices, when people commonly had a desktop and a laptop, but that may not still be the case.

Alternatively, you might be able to temporarily uninstall it on your desktop, and then install it temporarily on your laptop, a bit of a pain perhaps but possibly a solution?
BruceG
Number of books owned: 500

Post by BruceG »

Bill
The trial version of ABBYY Finereader should do. There a limit of three pages but that should be OK for the fair.
BillGill

Post by BillGill »

I'd rather show a free OCR package. I want to show people that they can get started without a large outlay. I am even planning to build a cardboard scanner, with a phone for a camera, just to show how simply you can get started.

Bill
b0bcat
Number of books owned: 0

Post by b0bcat »

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2759
"DRAFT MUG's GUIDE: Converting old books to PDF"
e.g.
gImageReader 3.2.3 for MS Windows and Linux (03 Jul 2017) and the discussion of free OCR packages near end of first post ( 09 Jan 2013).

If anything new and materially useful is found by anyone, pls add to that thread.
L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Post by L.Willms »

BruceG wrote: 22 May 2018, 17:50 Bill
The trial version of ABBYY Finereader should do. There a limit of three pages but that should be OK for the fair.
... and it is better when the presenter at the show is familiar with the software he is using instead of having to learn an new one just for the show.
BillGill

Post by BillGill »

Well, I am asking now so I will have time to get familiar with the new software. The show will be the last Saturday in August, so I am preparing now. That way I won't have a rush at the last minute to get everything together, and won't go off without something I need.

Bill
BillGill

Post by BillGill »

Well, I am asking now so I will have time to get familiar with the new software. The show will be the last Saturday in August, so I am preparing now. That way I won't have a rush at the last minute to get everything together, and won't go off without something I need.

Bill