How much faster is OCR in Acrobat on multicore computers?

Convert page images into searchable text. Talk about software, techniques, and new developments here.

Moderator: peterZ

netherfred
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 0

How much faster is OCR in Acrobat on multicore computers?

Post by netherfred »

Here I'm wondering if and how well Acrobat can use multi-core processors and more memory efficiently doing OCR?
And would that speed be doubled say from a dualcore to a quadcore?
Does the operating system play a role in this; 32/64bits, mac/windows?
Does anyone have experience with this? The only thing I can find so far is the geeks @ barefeats.com doing
some tests with Photoshop and MBP's: http://barefeats.com/mbps06.html
Thanks!
DamnedOwl

Re: How much faster is OCR in Acrobat on multicore computers

Post by DamnedOwl »

My processor is an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T which has 6 cores. I've got 4GB of RAM and I'm running 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

I actually decided to update my system partially because I thought it would improve its OCR performance in Acrobat, which I would say it definitely did, but perhaps not quite to my expectations and hopes if I'm being honest.

I'll update this the next time I perform an OCR operation, but I would estimate that I can perform a 500 page OCR on black and white images in perhaps 40-45 minutes. My old dual core would take twice as long - if it was able to finish it at all, as the system would often run out of memory.
Ryan_phx
E-book readers owned: Nook, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 0

Re: How much faster is OCR in Acrobat on multicore computers

Post by Ryan_phx »

I can't really do a comparison, but I've done OCR with Acrobat 9 Pro for quite a while now. I've got an older dual-core Intel system with Windows XP and 2GB of memory. I've OCR'd several 700-800 page books, and the only time I've had a memory issue is when I've also had several other programs running. So when I have a large document to OCR, I just try to only run 2 or 3 other programs simultaneously, and try to limit use of resource-intensive ones. That said, I've run OCR with Acrobat at the same time as Scan Tailor and Book Scan Wizard were working on other files, and didn't have a problem. It's not really an issue for me. As far as how long it takes, I couldn't really say. I usually just start the OCR, then work on something else until I think to check on it. I've never actually timed it.