SpreadPi: The new DIY Book Scanner control system.

Johannes Baiter's Spreads and SpreadPi are the latest control systems and postprocessors for DIY scanning. http://spreads.readthedocs.org

Moderator: peterZ

duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: SpreadPi: The new DIY Book Scanner control system.

Post by duerig »

Hahaha. I emailed Johannes last night with just this same notion. He emailed me back and said that it was his first thought as well. I think that when he gets his hands on one for the first time, we will be able to see whether it will be reasonable to do postprocessing on the new Pi. I hope that it will happen.
jbaiter
E-book readers owned: 2
Number of books owned: 0

Post by jbaiter »

Yup, I'm trying to get my hands on one, unfortunately most stores in Germany right now have a waiting list and won't have it before March...
However, if you already have one, you can configure the web plugin to run in 'full' mode and install scantailor, tesseract and pdfbeads and test it for yourself, it should work as is :-)
spreads: Command-line workflow assistant
cday

Post by cday »

A BBC news story today contains this interesting information that may need to be considered when using the new Raspberry Pi 2:
The latest version of Raspberry Pi's credit-card-sized budget computer reboots itself when exposed to camera flashes, users have found.
From this story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31294745
jbaiter
E-book readers owned: 2

Post by jbaiter »

Probably not that relevant for our purposes, since a) most users will have an opaque case for their Pi and b) most will use a LED light source, which doesn't cause the issue :-)
On a related note, I was able to get my hands on a Pi2 after all, I will try to make some measurements this weeks and will post them here.
spreads: Command-line workflow assistant
duerig

Post by duerig »

I have just got my hands on a Raspberry Pi 2 this weekend. And it looks like it is much more feasible for many post-processing tasks. They are still slow, but they at least finish without dying from lack of memory. I don't think you'd want Spreads to postprocess before you are able to download, but it might be reasonable to set it to postprocess as a background task and it can slowly grind away at your books until they are all ready to go.
jwnixon
E-book readers owned: Kindle, iPad

Post by jwnixon »

duerig - were you able to get SpreadPi up and running on your RPi2 with just a current nightly or did you need to do some tweaking? I'm starting with an RPi2 and keep getting kernel errors almost immediately - though I was able to get the same SD card running just fine on a friend's RPi B+. I'm trying to diagnose if it's a versioning issue or if I have faulty hardware. (I've checked the power supply and everything seems ok there.)
duerig

Post by duerig »

jwnixon, I haven't had a chance to try out a stock SpreadPi image on my Pi 2 yet. My experimentation was done using one of the default ones (Raspbian?) and I was running some image processing code by hand there. I will give it a try with the nightly build and let you know what I see.

I do know that Johannes has been working like mad on the new version of Spreads, refactoring a lot of code and such. So the nightly build is probably not that stable. I am hoping that I will have time to help him finish up and get to a stable release version within the next month or so. We need something that is known to work that we can point people at.
jwnixon
E-book readers owned: Kindle, iPad

Post by jwnixon »

duerig wrote:I do know that Johannes has been working like mad on the new version of Spreads, refactoring a lot of code and such. So the nightly build is probably not that stable. I am hoping that I will have time to help him finish up and get to a stable release version within the next month or so. We need something that is known to work that we can point people at.
Thanks, Jonathon. For some reason I wasn't subscribed to this post so I didn't see your response until now. But you've probably seen I started a new thread on the issue. I'll probably get my hands on a B+ and watch for news from Johannes.