SpreadPi and Camera config

Johannes Baiter's Spreads and SpreadPi are the latest control systems and postprocessors for DIY scanning. http://spreads.readthedocs.org

Moderator: peterZ

duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: SpreadPi and Camera config

Post by duerig »

Thanks for posting that. So the problem is that Spreads is having trouble talking to the camera. Now the thing to do is to figure out which side the problem is on. Try using an alternate CHDK control script like TwoCamControl:

http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... =20&t=3082

If that works, then we know that the issue is with Spreads and we can investigate further. If it doesn't, then the issue is with CHDK.

Just FYI, there are a few gotcha's when installing CHDK onto a camera. Perhaps one of them is at play:

Cameras (even identical models) can have different firmware. You need to verify that you have downloaded the proper CHDK software to go with your cameras particular firmware.
Make sure to download the 'full' version.
Use the latest 'experimental' version of CHDK.
Make sure that CHDK is actually being run on the camera. You should see the CHDK logo pop up when you turn the camera on. If the camera enters another mode (like asking for you to enter the date/time), then it won't connect properly.

-D
barth
Number of books owned: 0

Re: SpreadPi and Camera config

Post by barth »

Thx. This isn't the first install of CHDK on these cameras so I am reasonably sure I have the right version. Logo pops up - most of the time anyway - but I don't think I have the experimental version (are there any others, really? :) )
Now I will figure out how to use scripts (running the scanner from a windows environment as a windows user without prior knowledge of scripts and such, but keen to learn) and follow your instructions.
The message from the Pi screen was only one of many, I'll try and record the others somehow (not sure how to make screencaps from the Pi) and provide the forum with as much information as I can.
duerig wrote:Thanks for posting that. So the problem is that Spreads is having trouble talking to the camera. Now the thing to do is to figure out which side the problem is on. Try using an alternate CHDK control script like TwoCamControl:

http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... =20&t=3082

If that works, then we know that the issue is with Spreads and we can investigate further. If it doesn't, then the issue is with CHDK.

Just FYI, there are a few gotcha's when installing CHDK onto a camera. Perhaps one of them is at play:

Cameras (even identical models) can have different firmware. You need to verify that you have downloaded the proper CHDK software to go with your cameras particular firmware.
Make sure to download the 'full' version.
Use the latest 'experimental' version of CHDK.
Make sure that CHDK is actually being run on the camera. You should see the CHDK logo pop up when you turn the camera on. If the camera enters another mode (like asking for you to enter the date/time), then it won't connect properly.

-D