SpreadsPi web interface - problems with cropping

Johannes Baiter's Spreads and SpreadPi are the latest control systems and postprocessors for DIY scanning. http://spreads.readthedocs.org

Moderator: peterZ

tbr
E-book readers owned: Kobo Aura
Number of books owned: 20000

SpreadsPi web interface - problems with cropping

Post by tbr »

Hi All,

I've just finished building an Archivist kit with the electronics package (nice kit BTW). The hardware and cameras work very well, I've been able to take some pretty good pictures of book pages. I can SSH into the Pi and pull the images off with scp so I know the images are OK.

The problem is using the web interface to SpreadsPi. If I go into the capture page for a workflow it shows two images at the top of the page. When I click on the crop button at the bottom of either image I get an image that is way too large for my screen that can't be scrolled or scaled. There are no visible scrollbars or other controls except for an "X" near the top that will dismiss the image. I can put the cursor on the left or top edges of the image and drag the edge, but not nearly far enough to accomplish anything. (Oddly enough the vertical feedback is about twice the mouse movement but the horizontal feedback is fine (one to one).)

All the software versions are the ones that came with the kit:

uname -a ---> Linux eratosthenes.mannynkapy.net 3.18.11-v7+ #781 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 21 18:07:59 BST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux

python version ---> 2.7.3

Spreads version ---> 0.5git20150611.c802
(other python package versions available if anyone wants them)

Browser is Firefox 42.0 running on OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

Does anyone have thoughts on where I should look? I'm an experienced C and C++ programmer, a longtime Unix admin, and have done several small projects in Python, so I'm OK with pointers to someplace in the code as well as things like "update package foo to version x.y.x" :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tom Rushworth
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: SpreadsPi web interface - problems with cropping

Post by duerig »

Hi Tom. I haven't tried cropping in a while, so it may have bitrotted. But the easiest potential workaround might be to try using Chrome to get to the web interface instead. There is probably some CSS rule meant to shrink the images which works differently in different browsers. The last time I tried cropping (and it worked) was using Chrome.

Let me know if that works.

-D
tbr
E-book readers owned: Kobo Aura
Number of books owned: 20000

Re: SpreadsPi web interface - problems with cropping

Post by tbr »

Hi duerig,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I won't put Chrome on any "production" machine I administer because I haven't figured out how to stop the auto update feature. I know that sounds cranky :), but when the number of systems you administer gets large enough an auto-update is like being on a powered treadmill where someone else has the speed control. I lost patience for dealing with that years ago, so now if I can't turn auto update off I won't have the app on my systems.

What I think I'll do is build a VM to try it out - if it does work that gives me a pretty good direction to chase down the problem.

--
Tom Rushworth