Run Spreads on Raspberry Pi 4?

Johannes Baiter's Spreads and SpreadPi are the latest control systems and postprocessors for DIY scanning. http://spreads.readthedocs.org

Moderator: peterZ

elbourne
E-book readers owned: Freedom Scientific Openbook
Number of books owned: 10000

Run Spreads on Raspberry Pi 4?

Post by elbourne »

Can Spreads run on a Raspberry Pi 4? If so, I may need a little help.

I am wanting to build me a book scanner. I bought a Raspberry Pi 4. I went ahead and got the 8GB version in a CanaKit that comes with cables, case, the OS already pre-installed on a microSD card... the whole works. I plugged it all in, connected it to my network, ran the configuration, and was even able to SSH into it from my PC. At this point I was pumped!

I also picked up 2 Cannon ELPH 180 Cameras. Using the STICK tool I got CHDK onto 2 32 GB SD cards and popped them into the cameras. They booted up the CHDK firmware and everything looks good. I disabled the USB Remote thing in the menu.

I plugged the cameras into the Raspberry Pi via USB and powered them on.

Now, in a terminal window on the Raspberry Pi, I did:

Code: Select all

$ pip install spreads
A bunch of stuff happened and I thought it was all good.

Then I did:

$ spread configure
That's when I hit the brick wall. I do not know what to do with this:

spreads encountered an error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/.local/bin/spread", line 39, in <module>
    cli.main()
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/spreads/cli.py", line 410, in main
    setup_plugin_config(config)
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/spreads/plugin.py", line 344, in setup_plugin_config
    pluginmanager = get_pluginmanager(config)
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/spreads/plugin.py", line 316, in get_pluginmanager
    name_order=True)
  File "/home/pi/.local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/stevedore/named.py", line 81, in __init__
    verify_requirements)
TypeError: _load_plugins() takes exactly 4 arguments (5 given)
I hope someone can help. Meanwhile, I am going to go see if I can make a cradle out of a cardboard box.
Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Re: Spreads on Raspberry Pi 4

Post by Konos93a »

u can also make a directly electric trigger , no using rasbery at all and have about 1800 pages per hour
Gorth
E-book readers owned: Android and iOS ⇒ ReadEra, Kindle
Number of books owned: 600

Post by Gorth »

@elbourne, have you found a solution in the meanwhile?

You where at the time of you post able to install spreads with pip? It looks like spreads is developed on python2, which is deprecated on Raspberry PI by now. And the GitHub Repos seems to be not maintained any more, so no port to python3 as far as I can see.

Someone here who has found a solution how to run spreads on a Raspberry Pi 4, or in general on python3?
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Run Spreads on Raspberry Pi 4?

Post by cday »

elbourne's profile shows him as having last visited the forum in 2021, so it doesn't seem too likely that he will respond, however you could try contacting him directly by PM or using his listed email address.

Spreads was developed by Johannes Baiter, and his profile shows him as not having visited the forum since 2015, when he suddenly stopped posting... :(

However, the website listed in his profile is still online, so it might be worth trying to establish contact that way, and maybe ask about the possibility of his providing a Phython 3 verson.

Alternatively, you might if you are interested enough look into the possibility of using an automated tool to produce a Phython 3 version of Spreads, such as this one that showed up in a quick online search.

Please report back on anything that you find... :D
TDavLinguist
E-book readers owned: Kindle Fire, Galaxy Tab
Number of books owned: 800

Post by TDavLinguist »

Gorth wrote: 31 Dec 2023, 08:47 Someone here who has found a solution how to run spreads on a Raspberry Pi 4, or in general on python3?
A good place to start with Python is to learn how virtual environments "venvs" work. Theoretically, you could still download Python 2.7 and run it and pip inside of its own dedicated directory, not touching your default system Python install. This would install everything inside of the directory or venv. I don't have anything set up to be able to test it myself, but in theory, this would work.