Whoa! An Open-Source Linear Slide!

DIY Book Scanner Skunk Works. Share your crazy ideas and novel approaches. Home of the "3D structure of a book" thread.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Whoa! An Open-Source Linear Slide!

Post by daniel_reetz »

Check this out -

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/938 ... ing-system

It's an open source linear slide system that would be PERFECT for our scanners. I pledged $128 to get some prototype beam to play with - please consider donating if you'd like to support this kind of thing.

Personally, I am very, very excited about this! I have at least a dozen projects that will use it.
E^3

Re: Whoa! An Open-Source Linear Slide!

Post by E^3 »

Hello Sir Daniel,

Good Day.

Sir, can we post the "DIY" of this open slider ?
Or if ever how to buy it, is Western Union payment is acceptable

Thanks

E^3
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hey E^3,

Well, at first, it will only be available through the Kickstarter program, which accepts Amazon payments. Later, it may be possible to pay with Western Union.

There are many "DIY" versions of linear slides - we probably have a dozen here on this forum alone. So there's no problem there... the nice thing about this system is that it is factory made in a way that would be very difficult to DIY. There's some discussion of that over at hackaday. Check it out!
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Wow, that's an awsome project. I have pledged! And the guy made a DIY laser cutter? How awesome is that!

I like how those idiots on Hackaday think that making an accurate linear slide is a matter of bolting a V to an extension. That sort of proves that the commenter hasn't actually built anything that works accurately. But then, you know what comment systems are like. 95% troll.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.