Digitize a Book Using a Circular Saw

Book scanning methods that involve taking books apart.

Moderator: peterZ

jradi

Digitize a Book Using a Circular Saw

Post by jradi »

I don't think anyone's talked about this article, and I run the risk of being chased out of here, but when I saw this post I changed my book scanning process and it has been a dream: :)

http://lifehacker.com/5785565/how-to-di ... rcular-saw

I don't actually use a circular saw, but rather I take the book to Kinkos. $2/book and I get the same result. I may get an industrial paper cutter I saw on Amazon, about $150, that does the same thing, the circular saw idea looks too messy.

But after cutting off the edge, I run it through an industrial scanner I have access to and I can pdf the entire book in about 3-5 minutes, and the output is beautiful. The ocr'd result are much more accurate than what I was getting w/ my original scanner. The only problem is that it's destructive.

In general, I prefer to buy my ebooks (kindle). So the only books I scan are out of print, which I get dirt cheap from used book stores. Thus, since they're already out of print, I figure destroying one copy to preserve it digitally is worth the loss.

Anyone else out there using a similar work flow? :)
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Digitize a Book Using a Circular Saw

Post by daniel_reetz »

welcome back, jradi!

I know there are a few people around here using destructive methods and Fujitsu ScanSnaps - usually with a guillotine instead of Kinkos. Too bad we can't destroy every book we want to scan. ;)
jradi

Post by jradi »

Hey Daniel!

I try to catch up from time to time. I haven't had my book scanner up and running in a long time. I keep hoping to find a design that inspires me to build a new version. Although I just checked out the "new standard" and it looks very promising. :)

Unfortunately/fortunately, my newest scanning technique may keep me covered for a while...
pav

Post by pav »

If you 'skin' the covers and the edge (i.e. carefully cut them off with a scalpel or sth) chances are the same people who do the cutting will bind it back for you (or you can buy a thermal binder when you shop for a circular).
Just don't give my name if it turns out that the librarian noticed the difference ;-)
L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Use a guillotine instead

Post by L.Willms »

See this video by the paper guillotine manufacturer "Ideal" presenting three models made for the office.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yonMi3UdWJ8
Titel (for searching): "IDEAL 4305, 4315, 4350 - Guillotines"

You should find machines like these in better equipped copy shops or at bookbinders so that you can use just their service without having to buy one. I would prefer a book binder since they tend to know what they do when cutting a book for re-binding.