Books anyone?

A place to tell us about your work and projects. Self-links encouraged!

Moderator: peterZ

jradi

Books anyone?

Post by jradi »

I'd love to see some posts from other people, even a short copyright expired work would be nice - just to get a feel for what the output is like from other scanners...
you1

Re: Books anyone?

Post by you1 »

With 512 KB file size limit, I can only show couple pages; see attached.

Edvin
Attachments
Emp_law.pdf
(345.13 KiB) Downloaded 1344 times
suryandaru

Post by suryandaru »

Is that mean we can make e library in every village in third country? so every people can get the knowledge, because books is not cheap. I dream that Book scanner can change the future of young generation especialy in my country , Indonesia.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I think it's possible, and it looks like you will be leading it in your regency.

My first reaction, as an American, is to say "Why would you want to scan them all, there are many high-quality books that are already digital, and you can just buy or copy those and share them with your village."

But that completely ignores these things:

What is most important to any community are documents about that community;
What is most understandable to any person is documents in his native language;
What information is available should never be dictated by profit-seekers.
suryandaru

Post by suryandaru »

i mean it's a village library that serve books for local community. They usually have some old books about their village or knowledge about how to have harmony with the earth. in this time there are some old books that have been produced in 18th century which are almost destroyed by bugs and water. Some of them is about knowledge, science, art and culture which wrote in javanese and old Indonesian language which are needed by the young generation. If we can collect it, scan it, and share it to the people we not only can save it but also give something (new spirit)for the people.
Maybe it happen in other third countries.
thank you..., the idea to make this scanner book opens the opportunity to save our heritage.
JotaPe

Post by JotaPe »

Certainly, there is life beyond G***Books.
Xymenah

Post by Xymenah »

suryandaru, I love your idea for helping preserve books and knowledge in your country. I have always been interested in preservation of historical artifacts books and other papers/textiles are difficult to preserve especially in climates that have a lot of humidity. I have been trying hard to learn how to preserve original documents as I have a few of my family's historical documents. Which is my main reason for wanting to make a book scanner that will not cause cause more damage to the older things unlike flatbed scanners. If you can make one and are able to borrow/collect those old book definately scan them carefully in order to preserve them I would hate to see pieces of your country's past and their culture lost because this knowledge was lost. One thing however is when you are handling the old books if it is possible to find a pair of clean cotton gloves (like the ones photographers use when handling photos) to wear when you are touching it at all times will help prevent further degrading of the old books due to oils in the skin. Good luck on your project, keep us updated and I hope it is successful. If so then you are right this idea could be passed on to other countries and cultures in order to preserve their books and documents for future generations.
suryandaru

Post by suryandaru »

Thanks GOD. Thanks Jradi, Meg, and Daniel reetz. The cameras has comes this evening. and now our family prepare everything to make the books scanner work. because a lot of books waiting to scan. I promise to tell you the journey of scanning books from another village, if everything ready. GBU
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

sweeeeeeeeet!!!

Keep us posted in the Hardware forum! And you might want to try Rob's new PostProcessor software instead of PageBuilder....
suryandaru

Post by suryandaru »

sure.. I want to get everything , to make perfect book scanner. in this time I try to repair all electronic component like hub and switch, because it not yet work.may be some thing wrong with this. and than go to the soft ware.