Top side of platen (question)

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

obsidian

Top side of platen (question)

Post by obsidian »

Hi there,
Looking over all the different designs, I've noticed many have a top side of the platen (that is, not the two panes that make the V, but a pane on top attached to both top ends). Does this serve any purpose or does it solely help hold the platen together? I imagine it would only increase glare.

On the subject, is that why there is so much black coverings everywhere? If so, is the general rule to get it (black covering) everywhere possible?

Now I'm going to not say platen for a while. Thanks for your help :)
snaguy
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Top side of platen (question)

Post by snaguy »

Yes the part you are writing about is solely to hold the platen together. People use black to reduce glare and reflections.
Turtle91

Post by Turtle91 »

removed - double post
Last edited by Turtle91 on 01 Sep 2011, 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
Turtle91

Post by Turtle91 »

obsidian wrote:Now I'm going to not say platen for a while.
I had never heard the term "platen" before coming here - now it's common use around the house!

It's a little known fact...
wiki wrote:A platen (or platten) is typically a flat metal (or earlier, wooden) plate pressed against a medium (such as paper) to cause an impression in letterpress printing. Platen may also refer to a typewriter roller which friction-feeds paper into position below the typebars or print head. In office copiers and scanners, the platen is a flat glass surface on which operators place papers or books for scanning.
I just tell my kids that it is "PLAstic" to "flaTEN" the page. Put them together and you get: PLA-TEN = PLATEN!! :lol:

Cheers!
Norm
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty »

snaguy wrote:People use black to reduce glare and reflections.
This can also help improve the quality of the photo you take.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
obsidian

Post by obsidian »

Wow, those were some super quick responses. Thank you everyone!