Scan Tailor "Enhanced"

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

eL_PuSHeR

Re: Scan Tailor "Enhanced"

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

Hello. I tried the AUTO margins options on a 841 pages book and it hanged on me (at least Scan Tailor was not responding). Running on Windows 7 32 bits (4GB RAM). Any ideas? I waited for several minutes (maybe not enough) but I didn't see any progress bar nor anything else.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

This might seem a little silly, but maybe try it on a subset of those pages (like 100) to see how/if it works, and then try the bigger one?
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

Hi,

I'm excited to see new work on ScanTailor. Will this new version work on Windows? Thanks,
Jon

EDIT -- I see there is an .exe for Windows. Sorry. Keep up the good work!
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

daniel_reetz wrote:This might seem a little silly, but maybe try it on a subset of those pages (like 100) to see how/if it works, and then try the bigger one?
Hi, Daniel. That's not silly at all. Maybe the process takes some time. I will try it on a limited number of pages.

Ok. It works for me using a four pages test. It's not very informative as a tool, though. I think ST should DISPLAY margins (or resulting page size) in pixels/cm/inches whatever at the right thumbnails pane.
pejuko

Post by pejuko »

eL_PuSHeR wrote:Hello. I tried the AUTO margins options on a 841 pages book and it hanged on me (at least Scan Tailor was not responding). Running on Windows 7 32 bits (4GB RAM). Any ideas? I waited for several minutes (maybe not enough) but I didn't see any progress bar nor anything else.
There was a bug. Try new release.
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

Thank you very much.
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

I have been testing the "original" option under margins. It seems to work quite well. Congratulations.
o3h1p

Post by o3h1p »

Both Pictureshape algorithms yield worse results (both the 'free' and 'rectangular') for me. Same exact page and the 'free' algorithm incorrectly identifies text as a 'picture zone', the 'rectangular' algorithm identifies the entire page as a 'picture zone' but original version 0.9.10 from Talon's website identifies properly (aside from minor issues).
pejuko

Post by pejuko »

o3h1p wrote:Both Pictureshape algorithms yield worse results (both the 'free' and 'rectangular') for me. Same exact page and the 'free' algorithm incorrectly identifies text as a 'picture zone', the 'rectangular' algorithm identifies the entire page as a 'picture zone' but original version 0.9.10 from Talon's website identifies properly (aside from minor issues).
Can you send me sample page?
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty »

Apologies for the delay, but Scan Taulor Enhanced is now in Homebrew. Mac users who use Homebrew as their package manager can install it by doing

Code: Select all

brew install scantailor --enhanced
If you already have the regular version installed, you can try out Enhanced by doing

Code: Select all

brew upgrade scantailor --enhanced
That will deactivate regular Scan Tailor, but keep it around in case you want to switch back to it.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.