Canon a590IS ?

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

mrosspa

Canon a590IS ?

Post by mrosspa »

I was trying to find the spec. differences between an a590 and an a590IS. I can't find the difference.

What is the difference, and is it important?

Michael
tosborn

Re: Canon a590IS ?

Post by tosborn »

"IS" means image stabilization. So the a590IS presumably compensates for camera shake when shooting at "low shutter speeds". For fixed camera positioning, as in book scanning, I doubt that the "IS" would be all that useful particularly if you shoot with a lot of light.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

yep, tosborn has it. also the A490 and A495 are more modern cameras that may work for you.
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty »

tosborn wrote:"IS" means image stabilization. So the a590IS presumably compensates for camera shake when shooting at "low shutter speeds". For fixed camera positioning, as in book scanning, I doubt that the "IS" would be all that useful particularly if you shoot with a lot of light.
If I recall, image stabilization can actually make results worse. It's usually better to turn it off with fixed camera positioning.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

It all depends. But I can tell you that there is no option to have IS on the low-end canons. There isn't an A590 and A590IS, only an A590IS. Anything you see to the contrary is just lazy typing, probably from me.