A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

the.traveller
E-book readers owned: Samsung Tab S
Number of books owned: 800

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by the.traveller »

fitterman wrote: I'd be interested in pooling with someone once a few of the earliest kinks are worked out. I'm in the NYC metro area.
vitorio wrote:I don't know anyone else in town interested in having one of their own.
To everyone who is interested in joining with others. First step is to complete your member profile. Put your world location into your profile it will be easier to contact each other.

Something like; City, State, Country

In this way sharing costs will be easier.
the.traveller
E-book readers owned: Samsung Tab S
Number of books owned: 800

Post by the.traveller »

daniel_reetz wrote:
miket161 wrote: Wouldn't a couple more channels make it adjustable enough? Maybe a flat along the length of the round dowel for infinite adjustment? Or do you want to avoid having to make any adjustments at all?
Yes, that would work, but it's a pain to adjust the book while scanning. I would like to make a system that is self-adjusting, because pulling the book out and adjusting mid-scan sucks and slows things down.
Maybe a threaded rod and and a pvc tube (5/8) over it will do the trick. The rod I can buy locally is 1 meter ( in length, cost arond € 1,70. (+-$1,20) A piece of pvc, I don't know yet. Have 2 rubber bands pulling at the rod towards the right side, with heavy books it will gradually move to the right as the pages shift from right to left. I have no clue on how thin the pvc can be bought to put around the rod.
For accommadating the rod into the structure you will need some pocketing (shallow intendation) into your (ply)wood.
No sorry it needs to go all through because the rubber bands need to be on the outside to have a: adjustable strength rubber bands (more thick rubbers for heavier books, or more thinner ones) b: a (winged) bolt to put on either sides of the rod to give some extra friction if the book is not so heavy but stil thick.
A washer against the wood, then the rubber bands and then the bold for holding the rubber bands in place.
fitterman

Post by fitterman »

I'm hoping to put together a document that describes how to assemble the scanner. I figured I'd start by identifying all the parts. I was able to readily do that for all the parts except the ones that appear in the yellow area area. Am I right in assuming those pieces are only used in the cutting process and not in the assembled scanner? I don't know anything about CNC so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I do not know what fixturing means.
vitorio
Number of books owned: 0

Post by vitorio »

the.traveller wrote:To everyone who is interested in joining with others. First step is to complete your member profile. Put your world location into your profile it will be easier to contact each other.

Something like; City, State, Country

In this way sharing costs will be easier.
It doesn't look like the member search lets you search the location field. Maybe that's a disabled feature that can be enabled?
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Last edited by GaryK on 17 Dec 2011, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'll try to get access to my scanner this weekend - but in the model if you measure from the point of the platen to the top height of the lighting support module, that is the distance.

I also have this thread on design to give you an idea of how I came up with it: http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=1149 - sorry I don't have the number or a formula at the top of my head.
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

GaryK

Post by GaryK »

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Here are the files for the DIY Book Scanner v0.9.1. The parts go together well.
Attachments
DIY Book Scanner.zip
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 1255 times
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

vitorio wrote:It doesn't look like the member search lets you search the location field. Maybe that's a disabled feature that can be enabled?
Sorry, I haven't found a way to search based on location. The best you can do is go to the Members link in the upper right, then click on the Location heading, which will order users based on location. Not the best, but it's something...
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.