All threads that mention LiveCD/Linux development

We're working on a complete book scanning operating system, with all Free software. Discuss and help out here!

Moderator: peterZ

Anonymous2

Re: All threads that mention LiveCD/Linux development

Post by Anonymous2 »

A bit of a gravedig, but I have some experience with making custom Linux distributions.

I actually have a custom Linux distribution build setup on GitHub, in case anyone's interested: https://github.com/Blender3D/Induction-Linux

I based my distro off of Arch Linux. Arch is a joy to work with if you build from source, as it can automatically update packages that you build from source without user intervention. I test all of the book scanning software on Arch Linux, and I can confirm that every (non-Windows) program works without any problems (aside from programming errors, but that can't be blamed on Arch).

The produced ISO is about 550 MB, but it includes XFCE, tons of software (Firefox, Thunderbird, Geany, Java, Flash, Banshee, Abiword, Gnumeric, and a few more tools). If the base system would inclue [i[just[/i] book scanning software, I'd imagine the ISO could be stripped to just 200 MB (or less).

Building the ISO is even simpler (once you install the prerequisites), as it's just a Makefile.

If anyone's interested in working with it, let me know and I can write up some documentation and help you set it up. I can strip it of all the unneeded programs and install development versions of all the required packages. I already have that functionality built in (building packages from source and installing when generating the ISO), so bringing that functionality to the user wouldn't be a problem at all.
trainwhistle

Post by trainwhistle »

Has a Live CD or DVD been produced yet?

Thanks

Trainwhistle
Anonymous2

Post by Anonymous2 »

Nobody seems interested in one, so no. If enough people actually want a LiveCD I can start building one, though.
the.traveller
E-book readers owned: Samsung Tab S
Number of books owned: 800

Post by the.traveller »

Anonymous2 wrote:Nobody seems interested in one, so no. If enough people actually want a LiveCD I can start building one, though.
Well since I don't know how to build my own livecd I have to rely on people like you and snagit to tell me what to do. See my suggestions on page 1 for packages to include.
I have been looking to the Ubuntu livecd community and it looks nice but I don't know how to proceed.
Anonymous2

Post by Anonymous2 »

I've built a few customized Linux distros and the process it quite simple. Before you even try making one, make sure people need one ;)

If you are serious about building one, though, I'd strongly recommend Arch Linux as a base system. Ubuntu's package manager is a pain to work with when building from source, and many packages are really outdated.

The process isn't tedious at all, truthfully, and I might be able to make one later today if you're interested in testing one out (my build process is really general and 100% automated, so including custom packages is easy).

The problem with Arch Linux (and Ubuntu now) is the DE. Ubuntu uses GNOME3 and Unity, which don't help Windows converts one bit. Arch is even farther ahead with GNOME3.2, but you have the freedom of installing basically any DE you desire.

I'm leaning towards Xfce as the desktop environment, as it is extremely lightweight (I get about 70mb of RAM usage upon boot) and beautiful, a rare combo:
My Xfce desktop.
My Xfce desktop.
303148_284115794933602_100000055513961_1191940_2056431888_n.jpg (82.12 KiB) Viewed 137109 times
The reason I like Arch so much is because of its automated package building. There are source-based packages for Bindery, Scan Tailor and DjvuBind that automatically build the packages from source with little user interaction. Building and updating could even be backgrounded. Making new ones for BSW and other software is even simpler, as I can just modify my slew of existing package builds.

I'll write up some simple documentation for my build process, as a LiveCD/USB seems needed.
Last edited by Anonymous2 on 16 Dec 2011, 14:41, edited 2 times in total.
Anonymous2

Post by Anonymous2 »

In case anyone wants a peek at the source of my project, I've created a GitHub repository.

Just browse the source right over here.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

test reply
Anonymous2

Post by Anonymous2 »

Is there any interest in using a LiveCD anymore?
thinkJason
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by thinkJason »

If I had something to automate the process which I could run in a VM, I'd be all over it. I think that would be beneficial for getting wider exposure with kits; taking difficulty out of the process itself, leaving the challenge at building the hardware.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Yeah, there's been a lot of behind-the-scenes thinking about software and how to do it.

Basically, we need to handle the two memory cards gracefully; we need a preprocessor for Scan Tailor, and we need to provide a nice way to make PDF at the end.

If we did that via linux in a VM, or via LiveCD, that would be great. The difficulty of making it work for everyone will be a lot smaller when the kit is out there.